Brittany Ferries flagrantly flouting the rules

Having cancelled all channel crossings until at least 22nd April, Brittany Ferries are offering those with pre-paid bookings a voucher to be used against future travel valid for a year.
EU regulations, Article 18 of Regulation (EU) No 1177/2010 to be precise, clearly state that in the event of the company cancelling a sailing then the customer MUST be offered a choice between an alternative crossing and a full refund.

I had thought that in these unusual circumstances there might be some loophole that Brittany Ferries are using to avoid offering refunds, however, I find that on 18th March 2020 the EU Commission issued ‘Interpretative Guidelines on EU passenger rights regulations in the context of the developing situation with Covid-19’ in which, at Item 6.2 the right of a passenger being able to choose a refund is confirmed.
Source: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/legislation/c20201830.pdf

As an ‘EU Carrier’ operating ferry services out of an ‘EU Port’ I wonder how it is that Brittany Ferries feel able to take such a high handed attitude and flagrantly breach the law.

My interest in this is that I am very nearly ÂŁ400 down the drain and a voucher for travel with a company that may not even still be trading in a few months time is of no use to me whatsoever.

Has anyone else also been unlawfully disadvantaged I wonder.

1 Like

You are one of 0000’s Robert, from Disney to BA many travel companies are doing exactly the same and you can see why - cashflow. I can only suggest that you keep pushing them.

It’s time to look at the big picture. If Brittany Ferries and all the other carriers repaid everyone in full immediately there is a fair chance that next time you want to use them they just won’t exist. These are not normal times. I have a friend who payed for overnight accommodation at Gatwick and they have been told that no credit not or refund will be issued. The virus is hitting individuals, businesses and governments hard.
It nice to see that you managed to have a dig at the EU at the same time as pointing out how you have suffered from this crisis.

What you have actually lost, is a ferry crossing. Which you can make up at a later date.
Thousands of people have lost jobs and income that they’ll never make up.
Do what you have to do but I’d prefer BF to prioitise its employees right now.

6 Likes

We have a gite and we are offering re-booking on the same terms for the same time next year.
Did you use a credit card for your booking? If so, I suggest that you get in touch with your card provider.
By the way, France’s borders are closed to protect those who are living here now.

1 Like

I have to comply with the rules, as do millions of other people, companies, and shareholders throughout the world. Life as we know it is changing forever and people are loosing their jobs, businesses, livelihoods, and having inter-personal relationships seriously damaged. I suppose my question really is; What makes Brittany Ferries so arrogantly special ?

1 Like

Arrogantly special? That just about sums it up.

Yes we are doing the same, and two sets of clients have done so. But if they don’t want to we pay back the deposit…So far only lost two bookimgs.

I think you are being very generous. We advise our guests to take out insurance so that, in case of the unexpected, they are covered.

True but there is also a chance that when you next need them they won’t be there anyway (look at the airlines) and it will be too late to get a refund via alternative means (CC or travel insurance).

It was not that easy a decision but I’ve chose to accept the voucher as I could see the “it’s cashflow innit” argument and hope that BF can weather the storm on freight transport, until I can make use of their services as a passenger again.

2 Likes

Deleted

3 Likes

It needed saying Anna. It’s also a case of only listening what you want to hear, as Tim has pointed out it’s hardly a case of BF acting differently to everybody else. Yet again I think that perhaps some people just haven’t come to terms with the enormity of the situation.

Where? Robert quotes EU regs that give consumers a choice not take anything away. I can’t see that as a “dig”.

3 Likes

Look at it this way Robert. The protection is in place to stop unscupulous operators taking your booking, cancelling the service and keeping the money.
But that’s not the situation here.
Brittany Ferries’ role is to operate a ferry service. Not to mitigate the sanitary and economic effects of a pandemic. That’s a job for governments.
BF is a major operator and I suspect they may have heard whispers that the rules on refunds will be relaxed, so they may simply be anticipating the new ruling.
New situations need new rules.

Bearing in mind that the European Commission considered this matter as recently as 18th March when the Interpretive Guidelines were issued, and also keeping in mind that said guidelines were issued specifically in the light of the Covid 19 situation, then I don’t see how there is likely to be any further change in the rules.
Anyway, the rest of us are all required to comply with the law as it is now rather than how we hope or wish it may be in the future.
I understand that vouchers may be acceptable to many people, but for some of us the very purpose of our intended journey is evaporating with time.
Anyway, the major point encompassed in all this is the rule of law. The EU Commission have re-iterated that the ferry company MUST offer a choice between a deferred journey and a refund.
Whether that should or should not be the case is not the point. The law has been reconsidered by the powers that be, and has been found to be worthy of maintaining.
What is important is that we all comply with the law, and in my view that compliance should include Brittany Ferries.

1 Like

You say “as recently as 18th March” but that’s not terribly recent in pandemic terms.
We’ll see what evolves. But the options seem to be, let travel operators go bust, support them with public money, or encourage their customers to help them stay afloat (as it were). Or stroje a balance between all three.

Hi Jane, the insurance you advise your customers to take out will not cover them for CV19 related issues unless they have taken out specific CV19 insurance. Most insurance companies are specifying this in their updated/modified policies.

Is that after the policy has been taken out?

Perhaps, but it’s not their fault so we prefer to leave a good memory and maybe they’ll be back another year. We are resigned to a big dip in income this year. But we are saving money at the moment since we can’t go anywhere or do anything, so who know it may not be that awful.

Yes in my case and they want quite a bit. But also when taking out a policy today for example they ask if you want to pay extra for Covid19