Broken Dyson and coronavirus

Replace with… broom plus brush and dustpan… :hugs:

Agree on both counts! Our Dyson was the heaviest, clunkiest, most ridiculous piece of kit we ever purchased. Never loose suction, well our one rarely had any at all…

I’ve have a Dyson cylinder type vacuum cleaner for probably 12 years and it really has been very good. I used to have it in a fully carpeted flat but it’s now in my house that has tiled and wooden floors. I did buy a special head for the tiles and wood which works much better than the original one on those surfaces. I liked the bagless system so much I bought another vacuum cleaner of the same type for my second home. That however was a DirtDevil and cost about one fifth of the price of the Dyson. Both cleaners are still going strong. Neither is really any better than the other but that really shows how overpriced the Dyson was and Dyson still are. My daughter has a wand type Dyson cleaner which I really like but I’ve seen that DirtDevil and others sell those too so if I get one I will not be giving Mr Dyson any more of my cash.
If your bagless vacuum has poor suction it has a blockage or the filters need cleaning. A bad workman blames his tools.

Hello Everyone

Thank you all for your advice; it was fascinating to see the spectrum of opinion and the emotions which the humble vacuum cleaner could produce! Further investigation reveals that, after 8+ years, the motor has burned out so I’m weighing up the merits of buying the spare and doing the repair myself against buying another upright machine.

(Or using the money to replace the carpet with wood flooring.)

Cheers!

A new motor approx 65 - 80 bucks on fleebay. You wont get much panel flooring for that.

I bought a motor on ebay for about £20 which is working fine - it is easy to change them.

So, anyone else find it odd that Dyson - a company with precisely zero experience in making ventilators (but who’s boss supported Johnson and Brexit) and without the capacity to manufacture them until their “prototype” has been developed into a production model, has been awarded a contract to supply the NHS with 10,000

My guess is that they will arrive late or not at all, be rubbish and cost the earth.

Locally Dyson “air multiplier” fans were banned from clinical areas, after being expensively bought, once infection control realised they just accumulate crud in the base which is impossible to clean.

2 Likes

Nothing surprises me about this at all.
Won’t be long before Tim Martin (Witherspoons) gets special permission to keep his drinking emporia up and running - the twat has already sacked all his staff and refused to pay them until he gets the money from Boris… Disgraceful!

Apparently he has gone back on this and agreed to pay his staff after some legal pressure was applied.

Doesn’t stop him being a twat though.

2 Likes

Yes some pressure - The Good Law Project were/are interested. - We are presently working on litigation which we hope to launch later this week, subject to advice from our lawyers. We are exploring action against JD Wetherspoon plc – whose market cap at the time of writing is £840m – which has told some 40,000 of its employees that it does not intend to pay them for the time being.

He’s already been mouthing off that keeping the pubs open would not increase the spread. IMO the way this is moving Bojo has more chance of ending up like Mussolini than Churchill. Personally I want to punch Hancock in the face every time he comes on to lie about PPE. Frontline staff do not have sufficient. Bojo and the whole cabinet need to be forced to tour Corona wards in the same gear the front liners are using now.

3 Likes

I’m sure he’s basically a “nice guy” but regrettably nice guys get shat on from a great height by twats like Johnson.

I don’t think he’s a nice guy Graham. He’s a weak, arse licking (can I write that?) incompetent. While nurses, doctors and even cleaning staff are risking their lives with ineffective PPE he’s lying about there being enough in the Country, it’s just a logistics problem. Meanwhile he downgrades the PPE required to better suit his stocks. This guy and his boss are killing people.

3 Likes

I never thought you would hear me say this. I sort of wish Jeremy Hunt was still in charge

2 Likes

I wish my mum and Florence Nightingale were in charge.

4 Likes

I have a DC02 in the attic. Motor was still working last time I tried it, but the rest is just a bad case of plastic fatigue. Can’t even dump it right now because of lockdown but if anyone is interested in parts, let me know when this is over.
I see that this model is now in demand as a museum exhibit. But it needs to be in pristine condition and I don’t imagine there are many of those around!

I thought emptying was the worst thing about it, but with a name like Dusty. . . . .!

Oh, I couldn’t agree more @John_Scully
Wouldn’t piss on him if he was on fire :fire:

Just watching Ch 4 news Graham - London is going to be a bloodbath. I also watched Johnson’s daily update earlier. He could end up swinging from a lamppost (and I don’t mean like Gene Kelly).

I think this guy would have been a much better choice - best of a bad lot and that includes the opposition. My choice would have been Starmer buy hey ho the people’s choice won the day and long will we (they) regret it.
Rory Stewart said * “I don’t believe it’s patriotic to bullshit. I don’t believe it’s Conservative to bullshit. I don’t believe it’s democratic to bullshit.”

1 Like