Building cost

We are looking to move in the next six months, most of the houses (single storey) we have seem have just three bedrooms (which are needed), and I really want a room that can double as an office/study, with bookshelves.
My question…I see the ‘rule of thumb’ of €xxxx per sq metre…but that always seems extortionate to me. Anyone have experience of laying a foundation of say 4x4m2…and it’s cost if not done yourself. I believe I am quite capable of building a few walls with opening for window and door…an putting in wiring ready for an electrician to ‘join up’. That would probably leave just the roof for a tradesman to do…although again, once constructed it’s not difficult to put the tiles on a single storey.

Cannot answer that question for France nowadays but have you considered SIP construction, quick, cheap and very well insulated.

I have experience of demolishing an old, stone barn and re-building it from (new) foundations upwards to give a single-storey, 250m2 house designed to our own specs. I certainly wouldn’t contemplate it now. The price of building materials is at an all-time high, The French Government has upped the Taxe d’aménagement to ridiculous levels and I think you’d find that there’s rather more to it than a slab, four walls and a roof. Good luck with finding an electrician willing to join up and sign off your work :grinning: If you do go ahead, here’s a tip: Buy land near a quarry and material suppliers, ready-mix concrete etc. The delivery charges can easily double the construction costs.

Yes…am looking at all methods. It would be an extension 16m2 approx rather than a full new build.

As a non-professional you would not be able to buy materials at trade prices, so will find basic stuff amazingly expensive here. Think of a figure and double it.

Planning permission will also be needed and depending in your area there may be conditions on exterior finish.

Be sure to pass through the magic mist that lurks in the English channel/Manche where many brits miraculously morphed from DIY’er to builder. The results of their work still lurks in many corners of France.
Good luck with your venture.

3 Likes

Yes, am sure here will be obstacles, but I HAVE project managed a derelict barn conversion on the heritage coast in South Wales.

1 Like

Getting a project to completion in France is curiously different. Obviously much variation, but if this is in a rural area then can be more complex. We waited a long time for the roofer of our choice, as those who were available didn’t offer the quality we wanted. And small jobs are not that attractive to local artisans unless you’re prepared for it to take quite a while as they’ll use it to fill up odd days here and there.

If you look into the economics of running a small business here it does all make sense. But do expect it to cost more than you think possible.

The plus side is that having used local people for everything it has stood us in very good stead ever since.

2 Likes

A related question…Many properties we are looking at were built 2021 onwards. My understanding is that the 2020 rules stated that they must produce more energy than they consume. Yet I still see heating costs as say €120/month. Am I reading the 2020 requirements wrong?