Bull terrier?

Maybe a long shot, but does anyone own an English Bull Terrier, or involved with the breed, in France?

No, but 9ne of my favourite dogs. Apparently I used to hold the lead of Timmy when I was in my pushchair.
My mother used to breed staffies.

1 Like

Me too. :heart: Bull terriers.

You either love them or hate them! They are a daft dog really. Clowns who absolutely adore people but cannot understand why there are other dogs in the world…

I have had seven over the years, and just lost the last in a absolute freak of an accident and looking for another, but of mature years and a good disposition to other dogs.

1 Like

I am looking at a photo I can see from my bed. It is of my Dad on his boat and Timmy is lying on the coaming.
The boat was converted by Dad from a naval pinnace, a ship to shore boat, after the war.
He named her Lisa Jane after me.
A lovely man.

5 Likes

Adam, we have owned several staffies, some containing a greater bull terrier % than others.

I don’t know if this is behind your question, but for visiting France (when living in the UK) we wrote out a bilingual statement signed by our then UK vet. It confirmed that the staffie concerned wasn’t whichever particular breed the French authorities were at the time (and perhaps still are) concerned about.

As usual when you have the appropriate paperwork, nobody ever seems to ask you for it!

Apologies there was a timing issue with posting this, and I can now see this wasn’t what you were enquiring about…

Fantastic breed…

You can search the SPA site for breeds, and locations. They are quite honest anout how they describe a dog’s sociability.

Thanks Jane. I must say that my experience of the SPA honesty is not good. I have known situations where dogs have been returned for unsociable reasons and again re-homed.

The SPA, wrongly in my opinion, have a policy of no euthanasia. I do not like the idea of unsociable dogs being put back into circulation.

But if you do frequent the SPAs, and come across a mature bull with a good disposition who wants its last years pampered, do let me know please :sunglasses:

1 Like

To know them is to love them, Bull terriers are the sweetest creatures and not nearly as dim as mean people would have it. Admittedly one of ours was genuinely solid ivory from ear to ear, but adorable.
This is my papa with Fred the fabulous.

6 Likes

Must admit, I’m not a fan…sorry

Very nice. Good alert head.

They want you to think it is ivory ear to ear…

7 Likes

That looks like part of an amazing piece of artwork in the background. Sorry, but it really caught my eye immediately. My sort of art.

1 Like

I think it’s chez my godfather, no info about the painting, sorry.

1 Like

Here’s one older bull-terrier in need of a home.

https://www.la-spa.fr/animal/popeye-2/

2 Likes

Oh nooo poor sweetheart, alas I have a full-time job which means no dog for me :cry::cry::cry:
I hope he is adopted by someone nice soon.

Thanks Jane. Popeye was highlighted to me by someone in the area who knows the breed. Unfortunately he is not good with other dogs. A pity, but I must have one that is tolerant of other dogs.

It is a sad trait very common in male, and sometimes female, bulls that they do not always get on with other dogs, and should be borne in mind when considering adoption.

1 Like