Burgundian Hospitality

What a way to start 2011!

After being invited to participate in the St Vincent celebrations in the prestigious wine village of St Aubin in the Cote de Beaune, it would have been discourteous to turn it down. All wine villages in Burgundy hold their own private St Vincent celebrations, the week before the St Vincent Tournante . Tickets to these celebrations are not available to the general public as it is a traditional occasion similar to the old guild events in days gone by, however we were honoured by the host of this years St Vincent, in St Aubin, Andre Moingeon et Fils, and were absolutely delighted to accept.

St Vincent is the patron saint of winegrowers and the 22nd of January is his official day, tradition has it that if it is a fine day, the winter is effectively over - or if it is cold, the winter will be a long cold one. A mass is always held, then a procession through the village, to transfer the statue of St Vincent from the home of the previous years vigneron to the vigneron who has been chosen to hold him for the following year, thus passing on the blessing of a good years harvest. After this wonderful procession, with all the vignerons, the local dignitaries and their families (many children in traditional Burgundian dress) everyone is welcomed in the Salle des Fetes for the speeches.

So far, very traditional but Monsieur le Maire had some special news - St Aubin has officially applied to host the St Vincent Tournante in 2014, which will bring up to 40,000 visitors to the village for the weekend. This news was welcomed by all the vignerons as it is a great opportunity to present their wines to a greater audience without leaving the region. If Sunday's hospitality and friendliness is anything to go by, the last weekend in January 2014, is a date to put in your diaries.

It was now time to start the real celebrations, St Aubin Premier Cru, 2009 was served as an aperitif to everyone, along with a warm cake salé, a mouth watering cross between a loaf and a savoury cake, made from various ingredients such as leek and peppers, lardons and gruyere and a melt in your mouth salmon. Small gougères, a local speciality were also served; these are light, choux pastry balls, delicately flavoured with gruyere cheese and perfect to accompany wine tasting.

In days of old, a pig was slaughtered and the families would sit down to a hog roast accompanied by the different wines from the wine makers own vineyards. This year though it had been decided that a more varied menu would be served.

Quenelle de Crevettes sur son Pancake de Hommard, Réduction de Corail

Roti de Lotte dit , Crémeux de Pois Chiches, Dome de Butternut

Magret d’Oie légerèment Fumé, Cuisson à l’Unilatéral, Jus Réduit, Tube de Légumes Oubliés

Beignet de Citeaux et Petite Mache à l’Huile de Noisettes Grillées

Sablé Breton et sa Mousse de Lait, Brunoise de Poires au Caramel de Beurre Salé

Café

‘Le tout arrosé des meilleurs crus de nos caves'

As the waiters started serving the meal, bottles of wine appeared from everywhere and I mean everywhere, everyone was so keen for their wine to be opened first! Everyone, insisted that 'you just try a drop', great hilarity ensued when the first wine was - UNSCREWED! As part of the host family, Nadine opened the first bottle - a Chenin Blanc from South Africa - everyone tried a little and commented nicely, then Nadine revealed she had bought it from Lidl, for the princely sum of 1.99€. The atmosphere was set for the afternoon, everyone started opening their best bottles and it was hard to keep track of them all, 17 white wines and 14 red wines, not forgetting the Cremant de Bourgogne at the end (for those who are interested, I have listed the wines at the bottom of the page).

The menu was delicious, the wines elegant and the conviviality was exceptional. It was a privilege and an honour to be allowed to share in a moment when deep seated Burgundian hospitality, was shown at it’s best. It was an afternoon to relish and feel the passion that these illustrious winemakers and their families have for their wines. The overall feeling being that although it may be a business, above all they are foremost vignerons, a ‘metier’, a profession that has been handed down from generation to generation. To understand the Burgundian way of life is not easy but this was an impressive welcome that is not often extended to incomers of any nationality, not even the French.

I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to M. et Mme Michel Moingeon and the winemakers of St Aubin and wish the village, all the best for the St Vincent Tournante in 2014, which will be a great success.

The wines tasted included:-

Chenin Blanc Amarosa 2009 - Oliphants River, South Africa

St Aubin 1er Cru Chatenaire 2009 - J Lamonthe

St Aubin 2006 - Domaine Larue

St Aubin 1er Cru Les Friandes 2000 - Domaine Moingeon

St Aubin 1er Cru Chatenaire 2005 - Henri Prudhon

St Abuin sous Roches 2008 - 2008 - Gerard Thomas

St Aubin 1er Cru Merger de Dents du Chien 2005 - Gerard Thomas

Puligny Montrachet 1999 - Andre Moingeon

St Romain 2009 - Gerard Thomas

Meursault 1er Cru Clos des Porusots 1996 - Roux

Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru Le Vide Bourse 2007 - M Colin

Meursault Blagny Les Ravelles 2008 - Michel Lamanthe

St Veran 2008 - Perrand Earl

St Aubin 1er Cru En Montceau 2006 - M Colin

Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru La Garenne 2003 - M Colin

St Aubin 1er Cru Mergers du Dents du Chien 2005 - Domaine Larue

Bergerac 2001 - Chateua Peroudin

St Aubin 1er Cru En Créot 2003 - Moingeon

St Aubin 2000

St Aubin 1er Cru Les Frionnes 1999 - Henri Prudhon

St Aubin 1er Cru 2007 - Lamanthe

St Aubin 1er Cru Derrièrre Chez Edouard 2005 - Hubert Lamy

St Joseph 2008

Gevrey Chambertin 2007 - Guillon

Chambolle Musigny 2004 - Thiery Mortet

Chassagne Montrachet La Budriotte 2005 - Jean Claude Bachelet

Volnay 1er Cru Les Santenots 2002 - Domaine Roux

Chassagne Montrachet La Boudriotte - Domaine Laroux

Pommerol - Chateau de Bel Air 2001

I’m sure there are worse places to live than Champagne! Burgundy’s much warmer though and as Teresa says, the local Crement’s pretty good. Call in at La Grande Cave in Vougeot and I’ll give you a free wine tasting and introduction to Burgundy wines, I’m there every Tuesday and Friday generally! Same applies to any SFN members living or passing through the region. I’ll put a post a few details in the offers section!

great post, very interesting. We’re moving from Champagne to Burgundy as soon as we sell our house/business here. Looking forward to it and to getting to know the wines!

I think Cremant de Bourgogne is a tad more tricky to post though and is slightly more at risk of damages! You’re always welcome to stop off on the drive down south for a good tasting though.

what a list of wines! what an amazing experience… i’m dreaming of cremant de bourgogne now!

What a fantastic blog post - thank you for sharing this Tracy.