Bush/Nankin Cherries

I was reading an annoying book recently by an American author with English characters and, as expected, the language and culture were American but set in Reading. Strange. However, there was one reference I had to look up because it had the local population growing bush cherries and I’d never come across these at all before. I doubt if they are widely grown in Reading but I can see references to them in France (prunus tomentosa) online.

Has anyone grown one? Any comments?

We had them at our first house, it is more bitter than a true cherry and are in a way closer to a small plum than a cherry.
They were more bitter than our other cherries, but prolific fruiterers, better for jam or pie making than eating in my book.

I know exactly what you mean! I only ever download Kindle samples now: they have a chapter to convince me they won’t irritate me.

As for your original question … :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I must start doing that. My goodness was I getting annoyed…

Thanks @Griffin36 - the first stuff I read implied they were indeed more bitter, then something said “between sweet and sharp” whatever that means, then read something that said “deliciously sweet” so you can see I was getting confused! Are there lots of varieties? And are they worth trying?

1 Like

So irritating, oh here we are in Reading I mustn’t forget to bring my handgun as I’ve heard there’s been an incident at the baseball stadium :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: must rush I’m having tea with lord Kevin and lady Tracy later.

2 Likes

Actually, you aren’t all that far off, @vero :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like