Buying a King Charles Spaniel in France?

We have not long arrived in France and I promised my wife she could have a dog when we got her and she had more time to spend with one.

Anyway we would like a King Charles Spaniel and live iN Languedoc so I was wondering if anyone could help, even a few websites that might help.

Thanks

Ian

Good on you, Ian - what a mammoth journey! It sounds as though you made the right decision though. You'll absolutely know the right one when you see him/her. Great idea about registering locally. Your perfect pooch is there somewhere.

So we went today to the rescue centre which ended up being a 10 hour round trip.

When we got there they had 4 dogs that we liked, an English bulldog (who was already reserved), a French Bulldog who isn't available until mid August, two lovely Cavelier King Charles spaniels. One of these was 5 and just what we wanted but someone else was coming to see her this week so we couldn't take her and a 7 year old who was beautiful but had an eye problem and at 7 probably didn't have too long left and was a breaders dog and had never been a pet.

As this will be our first dog we decided to leave it so returned home empty handed and very tired!

We'll keep looking and will register with some centres that are more local.

It was incredible after visiting many centres in the UK over the years to see what a variation of dogs they had. In the UK its usually a very large percentage of Bull Terriers and the like.

Cheers,

Ian

I am so happy! I really hope that you fall in love with one (or both..?). Please do let us know how you get on.

Thanks amillion that is just what we wanted, we will be in touch with them tomorrow.

Thanks Johnny, my next question will be whether they qualify for a dog passport or not so we can take them back home at Christmas. We'll work that out!

Cheers,

Ian

We are looking for a small dog given our circumstances. Our friends have Springers and they are a bit high maintenance for what we are looking for.

Molly looks lovely as well and I hope she finds a home soon. We have been checking all the local rescue centres but so far there are not really any small dogs.

Thanks

Ian

I saw that face and thought exactly the same. It's just me sticking my oar in really (as I do, and as you well know) because I'm not a fan of some breeders/pet shops, plus there are sooooo many loving dogs who've been abandoned and they just want to feel safe and happy.

Oh she is gorgeous!

Hi Ian,

I'm attaching a link to a little girl called Molly. I know your heart is set on a King Charles but please, before you go to any breeders, do take a look at the local SPA. Molly is in Gard (don't know how far that is from you - I literally just did a Languedoc search but the departments are vast). So many dogs are confined in cages and need a loving home where they can run free. Nothing lost just by taking a look!

http://spa.vallerargues.free.fr/fiches.php5?fid=5514