Buying a used motorcycle for export

Hello all! I have a question regarding purchase of a motorcycle in France. I am a non French, EU citizen currently in France.

I intent to buy a used motorcycle in France and export it out of France to my country of residence. I do not intent to drive it in France, other than 2-3 days.

My questions are, what I need to do to be on a safe side for that transport?

I’ve read that temporary grey card( which is supposed to be given during purchase is valid for a month, but only in France. I clearly need to be driving out of France as well to get home.

Normally in my country insurance is connected to a vehicle, so if you buy a used vehicle with a valid insurance it transfers to you as well. Is that the case in France or I need to make my own? Is it possible to make a temporary insurance covering from several days up to a month (not sure when I’ll be able to have 2-3 days off to drive a motorcycle home)?

Other thing is that I only got a driving license for a motorcycle last year. It is not an issue in my country, but in France I would not be able to drive a motorcycle this size for two years.

I think you got a general idea about doubts. Advice and pointers are well received.

Thank you!

Hello @laptop and welcome to the forum…

As it’s been 16h since your post… and no replies as yet…

I’ll give you my tuppence-worth.

I suggest you contact the Gendarmes near to wherever you are in France… and ask them what their take is is on your situation…

You say you will be driving in France (albeit perhaps only a few days) … but driving is still driving…
thus the correct permit and insurance must be available for you to proffer, should the forces of law and order stop you on the roads and demand to see the aforementioned documentation…

advice from the horse’s mouth can be worth its weight in gold.

good luck.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

This article may be of use to you - it’s written from the perspective of someone in France selling their vehicle to a buyer based abroad, but the information is useful in your case too. It’s also in French but your browser should be able to translate it for you, if you don’t speak the language.

As I understand it, the onus is primarily on the seller for the French administration side. However I would pay particular attention to the info in the section “Remettre les documents en main propre à l’acheteur étranger”, so you’re aware of what paperwork you should be getting. Don’t forget to make sure you get a recent “certificat de non-gage” to ensure there’s no outstanding debt on the bike.

Obviously you’ll have to do some work to import the motorbike into whichever country you live in, but I presume you’re already familiar with whatever that entails.

1 Like

Edit
I was going to say much as what Gareth has said, with the emphasis on obtaining info on the importaion of the bike - particularly if an EU CoC is needed.

1 Like

I’d ask my insurer in my home country to insure it for the trip directly out of France to home.

3 Likes

Thank you all for a good advices, I fond them very useful.

To give some feedback… I went to the local police and gendarmerie to make sure I am on the safe side regarding my driving license and it is fine. To clarify, they stated that if I had a French driving license I would not be able to have “big motorcycle” category written in there, but since it is written and it is EU license, it is valid for them.
I purchased the bike through a dealership and not a private person. They will take care of the paperwork and insurance as if the bike is rented to me. When I give them a shout that I am safe and sound in my country, they cancel insurance. They also offered to keep it there until I am able to get days off to drive it, so one less thing to worry about.

I hope my experience helps others who might find themselves in the similar situation.

Best regards!

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. It’s nice when that happens :slightly_smiling_face:

PS - I’m curious, what bike are you buying?

Harley Davidson… There is no other bike in the world someone would go through all that trouble for! :smiley:

2 Likes

I used to have a Dyna Wide glide.

I now have a Honda Monkey… Oh, how mighty have fallen :joy:

2 Likes

How is the Monkey? I’ve seen some reviews saying despite its engine size it’s an absolute blast to ride.

1 Like

Yes, despite its diminutive stature it’s a real bike. I’d be ashamed to admit how little I’ve used it. It was the build quality and finish that seduced me. I mean real metal Honda badges :grinning: I’d have the bike in the house as a piece of art, if I was allowed :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like