Buying/selling used vehicles.....privately

Well Lee, I’ve read you comments and I think you need need to relax. Sod the car, sod your preconceptions. it is what it is and BTW that’s not too bad.

Apparently this is useful to use when selling a car privately to protect the seller.
http://ww2.autoscout24.be/as24_service_contract.pdf

Wow, David…quite a message!

1. You have no idea what might or might not appeal to me as far as houses, cars, fresh bread, coffee etc or anything else are concerned; I was writing only about first impressions but you obviously haven’t grasped that. The fact that the type of house you were looking for was something to do up and a “real gem” is irrelevant but, if it’s a pat on the back you’re after for making it “what it has become”, bully for you, well done and congratulations.
  2. Why do you feel it necessary to write stuff like “Some of us look deeper than first impressions. Are the people that you know that shallow?” It’s rude, mean and irrelevant.
  3. My original post was not at all vague and has been pleasantly and helpfully answered by several people for which I am grateful. Those people obviously did understand what I “actually wanted to know”.
  4. I have no idea what “Perhaps you have tried to polish the t*** here too” means. And “hiding the reality below a thin veneer” sounds clever but means what?
    This was my first post on SurviveFrance and, if you are typical of its members, it’ll be my last; but I don’t think you are typical. I think you are typical of a certain type of Brit who likes to feel superior to those with less knowledge than yourself and relishes expressing it; part of the reason I left the land of my birth aged 26. I think you sound sad and angry.
    I would very much appreciate the Administrators of this forum having a look at my original post and telling me whether or not it is appropriate for this forum. If not, I won’t post again. Also perhaps the Administrators might find a moment to look at the messages between you and me and tell me whether or not this is the sort of exchange they encourage. Whilst doing so, I do hope they take note of my several comments expressing gratitude to those who have responded with what I would term normal courtesy.

No thanks for the recent link?

Got lost amidst all the other rubbish; sorry and thanks.
And that’s all you have to say? Well, that’s amazing and speaks volumes.
Hope this is the end of it.

This might be useful for secondhand buyers,

1 Like

And here is the French Gouv site…:

https://histovec.interieur.gouv.fr/histovec/home

Thank you, Chris; very useful.

Thank you, Stella.

Sorry, John; don’t understand your point about Australia. Is that where you live or used to live?
What “crap”?

John, when I wrote my original post asking for help, I was as relaxed as one can be. As you took the time to read my posts, I assume you also read David’s.
“Sod the car, sod your preconceptions” means what? I asked some simple questions expecting some helpful replies which I received. So what you mean by that phrase completely escapes me.
I interact with many people on other similar forums but some of the people on this one seem to be very different; it’s almost as though some just want to be sarcastic, rude, superior, unaccommodating and unhelpful but to what end I can only surmise. The majority, however, doesn’t seem like that. What the oddballs’ agendas are, I don’t know, but I can guess.

Sorry Lee, I was somewhat cryptic, no offence intended. What I was lamenting was that the Aussie friends of my youth (many of whom were ex military dentists living in Earls Court for some reason) were a freewheeling, happy go lucky bunch. The last thing they would have worried about was “detailing”. With the massive increase in wealth Oz seems to have turned into a USA light. Pseudo sophisticated and rules and regulations abound. A “reformed hoor” in the vernacular, in other words from one extreme to the other. I watched the same happen to Clive James over the years :slight_smile: I miss the old rough and tumble, take it or leave it Australian attitude.

Fair enough, John. I was living in South Kensington in 1964 so can relate. Went to a Kiwi dentist there who filled my mouth with fillings; it seems he was a dental student and needed the practice!
I left Oz almost three years ago and not detailing a car for sale rarely happened. I know David is sarcastic and sceptical about my “vague” question in that regard but there must be a reason why dealers don’t shovel a whole lot of dirt on the used cars they have for sale if “detailing/valeting” makes no difference to potential buyers’ first impression.
Thanks for making the time to explain; appreciated.

There is a difference between having a clean car when you sell it and a valeted one. You are an individual do as you like. As you will be selling a RHD car it’s probably irrelevant to know what the French do.

Rightly or wrongly I sold a van a year ago which only had 2 months CT left.

Obviously no problem for you Tim… as the Buyer did not come back to you and ask you to pay for the more recent CT needed when Registering the car…

Presumably, the Buyer did whatever was necessary… and paid for it himself… or perhaps the car went abroad… or whatever… who knows.

Thanks, Tim; right or wrong, the deal is well and truly over now!

It’s not rocket science.

The LHD van was sold to a Brit in a neighbouring dept, it was old and cheap so he knew what he was getting, previous vehicles we’ve sold have had a full CT.

David, can’t you just leave it now? “Rocket science” etc. Please…