Buying unusual seeds

Thanks, that’s a good find as I have bought from them before.
My quest for more unusual seeds is driven the fact it’s the first season for my new polytunnel

its a wet day today so no outside gardening…we do need rain…there’s a store at Plouigneau (eastern border of 22 and 29) so maybe a trip to see if they stock Franchi.

It’s now been bought out by Suttons, I understand so possibly a little more limited than it was? Still,they don’t deliver to France either :roll_eyes:

It’s my first year as a poly tunnel owner too, a bit necessary In Cumbria, I enjoy hunting out new things to grow so this year I’m giving Giant Goosefoot a go.

1 Like

We are hoping to erect our polytunnel this year - we bought it in the UK several years ago in its component parts, which is how it still is… :roll_eyes:

My OH decided to wait for the weather to be pants before we started, I ended up trying to drag the cover tight in the rain, it kept slipping through my hands, with hub yelling, pull tighter and me landing flat on my bum in the mud. He very nearly breathed his last, that day lol.

1 Like

Just wanted to report back on my veg seeds since this was the first time I had used

Be warned - I had the most amazing germination rate I’ve had with any seeds before, even including the wonderful Franchi Seeds. Anyone want towards 100 kale plants? :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah go on then :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I’ll have 5 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We are just having our first tenderstem broccoli from the garden today, a bit late due to the strange weather, but I love it and I can;t find it here in France.
It was expensive in UK.

I must try again, it was the only brassica I’ve had luck with - the purple sprouting variety.

Survive France has just sent me a message, so I’d better shut up now :smiley:

*This topic is clearly important to you – you’ve posted more than 40% of the replies here.

It could be even better if you gave other people space to share their points of view, too. Can you invite them over?*

1 Like

No, it doesn’t really mean that… further on it suggests you invite folk… so, check your Christmas card list, then check it twice :rofl:… and then continue to post… I love reading your stuff, even if I can’t add anything useful to it…

2 Likes

My Christmas card list is probably now down to single figures :frowning: People have either died or kept their distance because of Brexit or perhaps they just don’t want the hassle :rofl:

Ah… so not really anything to do with “naughty or nice”… :smiley:

(I’m in Christmas mode… just in case we can have our carol singing this year… )

1 Like

Actually SF is quite right - this topic IS important to me because I was struggling to find French sources for the sorts of (mainly vegetable) varieties I wanted, but having found a supplier whose seeds seem to be very good quality, I wanted to share that.

I’m very fortunate in that the local nurseries are providing me with quite a variety of flowering shrubs and plants so I don’t need to sow those.

Theone thing I couldn’t get from Kokopelli was Dwarf curly kale so I got a friend to buy a packet from my usual supplier for that in the UK and post it over. The seeds have come up and not one of them is dwarf curly kale … grrr…

Me too.
Just as daft as the five letter reply.
Maybe not everyone is as interested in their potagers as we are.

Yes, we have that too for early spring.

Sssshhhh they’ll be sending someone out to arrest you :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just read an article that said they have come up ith anew variety of strawberry in the UK called ‘Ace’ and it has the flavour of June strawberries but will fruit all summer!

First year with polytunnel…I had a greenhouse in UK, but much prefer my polytunnel… 14’x15’’ somehow ft inches seem to make it bigger than mtrs.
Big difference here is that seeds from retailers are poor in range and dear, and despite looking I’ve not really found a good EU online supplier to match the UK ones, in both range and price, also the range of garden sundries eg pots, trays and tools is poor, and in Brittany Magasin (Pointe) Verte have absolute monopoly and price accordingly. So I’ll miss being able to obtain from UK.

But on the big upside there are any amount of proper nurseries (not like UK where Garden centers with Edinburgh Woollen Mill are often now just retailers of plants bought in from the Netherlands…well did before Brexit) who offer a huge range of both shrubs and veggie to grow on, so that’s a big plus. Buying seeds still important for none bog standard varieties but less so.

We got a clandestine delivery of UK seeds for veg garden as like you there are some varieties we prefer that we haven’t found here. The germination rate was awful!

The seeds we saved from year before and ones we bought here have been fine. So we’ll be on the straight and narrow for locally sourced stuff from now on.

What does best for us is there are local markets which sell veg plants in April and May. Including a couple of organic market gardeners who have a small but interesting range.