Bye bye EU

Oh Geoff, that’s the first time I’ve smiled since yesterday when I became a true Third Country National.

6 Likes

I have now received a reply from the providers of ITV HUB+
What next I wonder??

Thanks for contacting ITV Hub.
We have previously been able to offer the benefit of streaming catch up programmes abroad in the EU with an ITV Hub+ subscription.
However, since the UK is leaving the EU, the portability law that allows digital content to be accessed across Europe will no longer apply. In order to make sure we’re ready for this change, you will no longer be able stream catch up programmes outside of the UK.
I have cancelled the active Hub+ subscription and have refunded the remaining months totalling

1 Like

There be consequences :wink:

You lot crack me up. :grinning:

Loss of freedom of movement, who gives a damn. Losing ITV HUB+ though is beyond the pale, my life is at an end!!

5 Likes

It does seem that Amazon Prime and BT Sport are no longer working without VPN which means for us that we can no longer watch on main TV.

As @tim17 points out there are bigger issues concerning Brexit but this is possibly the first visible difference being applied.

Thanks Nigel & Boris for all your good work I hope your backers are impressed. I can imagine Brexit supporters in Costa del Sol are currently “losing their shit” as this isn’t the Brexit that they voted for.

3 Likes

For some loosing their TV is quite a big deal, my FIL is 87 and does not have great mobility, because of his health and covid he cannot leave the farm and because it is -3c he cannot get out so he likes watching sport and reminiscent watching his old films.
Brexit does not mean much to him with his dementia, loosing his telly does.

2 Likes

Losing tv channel access and a return to roaming charges etc was always going to happen in some form so why is this such a shock now?

It’s not a shock. Just really f***Ing annoying.

5 Likes

There are ways around it but as Cat says it is f***ING annoying.

I think the key to this is that you were paying a subscription for the Hub.
Suggests that it wasn’t a via a VPN but through a provider who has a service contract directly with ITV.
But maybe I’ve got it wrong. Just hope at least Sky will continue with Astra satellite footprint.
I’ve not ever read that picking up UK Tv was threatened by Brexit, more likely that broadcasters who really aim to serve UK land mass are trying to restrict European viewing for their own copyright and commercial reasons.

1 Like

Yes - I think you’ve cracked it John.
Very unlikely we’ll lose UK satellite reception here surely - so close to the Channel islands

Yes it was a subscription to ITV hub as I said a while back. It was suggested to me that perhaps if I viewed via VPN all would be well.
To be honest having now done some research on using a VPN I dont think I can be bothered to go there.
Now sat in splendid isolation early on Sunday morning while I walk along the Weatherfield cobbles watching the omnibus edition of Corrie via freesat.
And I have a subscription refund coming!
Job sorted.

1 Like

The Astra satellites have thousands of channels from all over the world, received by people all over the world. So doesn’t seem to make commercial sense for sky to stop using it as they have subscribers world wide.

I cant for the life of me understand why people watch Corrie or Eastenders, They are so depressing, and who would really want to live there, with such an above average occurrence of disasters.
Places to avoid.
By the way Helen worth, nee Wigglesworth, went to school with my sister, Miss Laity’s independent school.
Her father owned one of the piers in Morecambe.

1 Like

I’ve always liked the look of Midsomer but the murder rate is off the scale. :grinning:

4 Likes

Exactly. They must have a permanent person changing the population figure on the village sign.

Thé French équivalents are just as bad Jane. Plus Belle La Vie is mega depressing most of the time but maybe some folk like to watch other people’s misery ?

Crossroads was never like that, biggest crisis often was the milk float crashing and no milk for guests at breakfast in the Motel.

Can’t agree more, Peter, used to watch plus belle la vie regularly but 15 years ago and then it got a bit daft and tried to treat all the current problems and we gave up. now we’ve laos got un si grand soleil which I don’t watch, candice renoir is amusing and we all watch that but on in blasts then nothing. otherwise we don’t really have the time to watch much! Don’t have UK tv so don’t understand what all the fuss is about :joy:

The drumbeat intro to Eastenders is very useful. We usually manage to switch channels before the last is heard.
As for Corrie we used to enjoy it in the 70s and 80s when there were a healthy dose of comic scenes with Hilda, Stan, Eddie et al. https://youtu.be/2OJgaXQZOPQ