Bye bye EU

Maybe not back in the EU proper, but may move over time to being closer through a re invented version of the Single Market and C Union

Tell me how many general elections have passed when there could have been change but there wasnā€™t?.

Iā€™m probably going to invoke Godwinā€™s Law here, by asking if there hadnā€™t been an enormous program of national education and constant follow-up in Germany post-1945, would we accept that it was OK for people there to hold to their beliefs and logic for their votes during the 1930s?
And that we should just let them get on with it (as rather seems to have been the case in the East)?
Iā€™m not equating the scale of the wrongdoing, but there is precedent for pointing out to people that their previous opinions / beliefs / etc., were wrong, misinformed, etc. and doing so on a national level.

IMHO, if we donā€™t keep up the effort to connect the dots and make the case that votes have concrete consequences, then one of the biggest scandals perpetrated against the people of the UK will simply pass into the mists of history.

3 Likes

Bizarrely here in the North West a lot of the people I know who voted leave are intelligent articulate folk,well travelled and aware of things (I still think they were crackers mind)

red wall seats !

The UKā€™s departure from the EU means British drivers snared by speed cameras on roads in Europe will no longer be sent fines. And those Britons, resident in the EU, who return to the UK in foreign registered cars will also avoid finesā€¦just seen on THE LOCAL.fr web siteā€¦well there had to be a rationale for Brexit, wonā€™t be of much relevance to most Brexiters as they hate driving on the wrong side of the road in foreign countries!!!

possibly, but there again - a return to the way the Gendarmerie used to do itā€¦ frog march miscreants to the nearest hole in the wall to extract an on the spot fine or leave them by the roadside with no transport when their vehicle is seized :wink:
Oh joy :grin:

1 Like

yes, but donā€™t forget many speed violations are now caught by fixed cameras, its only if you are physically stopped that they can do this,

haā€¦ ever heard of computers Johnā€¦ new fangled devices which can flag up miscreants trying to board ferries back to blightyā€¦

Well thats something newā€¦or was it tongue in Cheek, I donā€™t really think yet that even with tech they will engage with ferry operators or have G at ports looking go cars that have been caught by a camera so they can collect say ā‚¬80!.. but maybe Iā€™m being nieve

1 Like

Yes, was a bit tongue in cheek (emphasis on cheek) but nothing to do with the ferry operatorsā€¦ la douane would sort it if the car was flagged by radar at the centre in France where all infractions are processed (Nantes?). A somewhat sophisticated joined up systemā€¦

https://www.antai.gouv.fr/a-propos?lang=en

Thanks, very interesting reading which I have booked markedā€¦but hope never to need. Pre brexit Brits were getting tickets but no endorsements, now it seems the main risk for them is to actually stopped by a cop with a gunā€¦

haā€¦ reminds me of an issue in the Charente some years back with 2 ā€œfakeā€ m/cycle Gendarmes picking off British reg cars and forcing them to pay on the spot fines 90ā‚¬ at the time - and they were making considerable amounts of money. They caught them eventually.
In one ex-pat publication, someone mentioned that when they were stopped by a Gendarme on a m/cycle he asked ā€œbut how do I know you are genuine?ā€ to which said Gendarme replied ā€œMonsieur, I am the one with the pistoletā€ with his hand on the weaponā€¦ wisely, he paid up without further question! :grin:

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I was the gendarmerie I would look at the 445,000 fines sent to UK drivers in 2019 (and the possible loss of the 30-50 million EUR of revenue associated with them) and find a way to replace that enforcement action, sharpish.
The ROI on a few checkpoints with license plate scanners, located at the ferry ports and euro tunnel would seem to be very highā€¦