Call for EU27 to confirm status of UK citizens

Undoubtedly Geof. For anybody sensible it was a golden opportunity to rebuild the NI economy.

The South is a past master at securing foreign direct investment (even if a lot of it is tax driven) and cross border initiatives could have deployed those skills to NI. It’s very much in Dublin’s interest that NI is prosperous and peaceful. Not least of all to keep the populist and nationalist Sinn Féin headbangers (who are still controlled from darkened, smoke filled rooms up North) at bay in Southern politics.

Some extremists in the DUP, for example Sammy Wilson, would rather see NI in penury than forge closer links with Dublin, It was this cohort that hung May out to dry and forced the infamous backstop approach.

When Johnson threw them under the bus and signed the withdrawal agreement based on May’s original proposals, many of the smarter, wealthier DUP supporters started to see the benefits of having a foot in the UK and in the EU, and conversely the downside of no deal.

That’s why Foster has been less than strident in condemning the WA. Some of the “lads” must have had a discreet word with her, as is their wont in that neck of the woods. The DUP has gone from strutting around the Westminster stage to hiding underneath it.

If I was a businessman in NI to day I would be pulling (what’s left of) my hair out.

1 Like

Tony, the fact is the UK entered the Brexit negotiations with no idea of what it wanted to achieve. Generally if one wants to achieve something, the first step is to decide what one wants to achieve. To further compound that (already fatal) mistake they sent a blustering clown, a guy who likes to spend his weekends playing at being in the SAS, Doodles Davis, to face off against an respected and accomplished operator, Barnier. There was no contest.

Next up were Raab and Barclay, neither of whom could shed any further light on what the UK actually wanted, apart from a Cakeist solution. The only adult on the UK team was poor old Ollie Robbins. The poor man, how he must have suffered trying to corral the above mentioned idiots.

So, while the UK faffed, blustered and bullshitted the EU patiently, respectfully and diligently worked away to build consensus in the 27 (The UK couldn’t even get consensus in the Cabinet) and translate that into a mutually beneficial trade agreement with the UK.

Where we are today has absolutely nothing to do with the EU. From the referendum lies to Bojo planning to break international law this has been a wholly self inflicted UK shitfest (sorry, I couldn’t think of a better word) while the World watches in amazement, some in sorrow, some with delight.

The UK has been led by the nose by liars and charlatans. It’s hard to see how it will recover.

6 Likes

no idea what your reply was, Anthony, perhaps it was my use of “fuckwits” which is a little strong, not meant to offend anyone and I appologise if it did, but I do like to call a spade a spade :wink:

3 Likes

No idea what was said but water and duck’s back and all that. Nothing I said was untrue, perhaps a little strong but that’s all. Personal attacks, I wouldn’t stoop that low, but I will openly air my views here on British politicians and their acts :wink:

Just seen your reply, Anthony. No, I’m not blind and there’s plenty wrong with the EU (ever been a member of a club and liked ALL the rules?!) I can well see both sides of the Brexit debate but quite honnestly I’m ashamed of the UK side and the way the British people have repeatedly swallowed lie after lie from a government that doesn’t even have a clear goal or strategy. In no way what-so-ever is the UK “the enemy”, what a daft idea, but it does make me sad when looking back to the UK it seems that the blind are leading the blind and the cliff edge is getting closer and closer :scream:

15 Likes

Very true Andrew. I’ve worked on many transnational EU projects and could tell you many stories good and bad about the EU - but on balance I’m sure it is a force for good in the world.
But since I started working internationally - 30-odd years ago - my feelings about the UK have gradually moved from mixed (but pretty positive overall) to shame and sadness; and I’ve seen very clearly the view of people around the world change from deep respect for many British institutions - I remember during the collapse of the ‘soviet’ economies in the 90s, for example, how people turned to the BBC for reliable information - to active distrust and disbelief now.

4 Likes

This country has always survived and I am sure it will continue too!

I just find it very disappointing that some people like to put the UK down, but the most fun I get is winding EX pats up that are really turncoats to good old Blighty!

I will not be putting any more posts on this forum as it has become boring, mark my words Britain will prosper and grow well when it is free of the shackles of the EU!

Why do you think that Japan has just done a trade agreement with Britain and America will be next when this nonsense of changing agreements is sorted out.

What the EU Britain and the USA should be doing is suing China for the Covid19 virus?

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oh, please don’t go - it’s so entertaining watching people implode at the first sign of resistance and making a right tit of themselves :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

They come, they insult and then they flounce off.
The life cycle of a troll!
Izzy x

10 Likes

Ie - you simply cannot back up your position when challenged. The same as so many others who have appeared made ludicrous comments then disappeared.

I am more than happy to have a rational discussion based on reality.

I hope for all of our sakes that the impossible Brexit you hope for will materialise otherwise you may realise that you have been played by some increasingly wealthy people.

1 Like

Yet people constantly get sucked in and respond rather than ignore. :astonished:

4 Likes

What a good idea that is, can’t think why anyone isn’t doing it.

9 Likes

doh !

2 Likes

4 Likes

Please explain how the EU was holding us back and what, specifically, what we will now be able to do that we were prevented from doing previously and how it will allow us to prosper and grow well.

4 Likes

This is an example of the rhetoric used about random things in the UK, which keeps up a constant low level of anti European feeling.

HOW is a comparison to wartime events of practically 80 years ago relevant to dealing with a viral pandemic???

2 Likes

I never succeeded growing bananas in Essex, 'though I tried. Are there established plantations in UK or France where I might get a few tips to try out in Normandy? I grow good carrots and modest artichokes and courgettes, some of which latter swell up and turn yellow, but lack that easy banana unzipability. :banana::yellow_heart:

1 Like

There are in France - Martinique, Guadeloupe, Guyane, Mayotte and Réunion. :wink:

5 Likes

Surprised that UK citizens resident in France don’t know about the DOM/TOMs (or whatever they are called now) especially because the UK government’s assessment of winter temperatures include the DOMs and that is why the UK Government refuse us UK pensioners resident in France the Winter Fuel Subsidy.

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?