Calling all Orna... Orrny... BIRDWATCHERS!

Am I finally crazy? Nope, husband hears it too...

There's a bird, perhaps 2 or 3 singing, tweeting, twittering outside our bedroom window AT NIGHT...

We live in the country (obv.) 1 km from a tiny village, 6km from a town... in the middle of vineyards, with a drive outside that part of the house, a stream running down and some 'mixed' trees & hedging.

So, it's ideal bird territory in the day but at NIGHT???

We have three 'wild' cats who's little house is out there - but plainly not bothered about catching them...

What are they? Anything I can do about them?

thanks x Teresa

(should have mentioned probably not a post for bird lovers!)

It's likely a nightingale or "rossignol" in French. They sing in the day too. When they kip is anybody's guess? One has arrived about mid April for the past 3 years, outside our window. They're quite non-descript but can't half sing.

No thanks. We have one here at present, plus the barn owl. Cuckoo takes over at crack of dawn and until recently had the hoopoes as well with their 'whoop-whoop' first thing. I love birds but there are times when a strangled bird seem quite appealing!

really - a nightingale?

that was my first thought, of course, but in my head and probably poetry lessons at school i thought they sang beautifully? wiki says...

...the song of the Nightingale has been described as one of the most beautiful sounds in nature, inspiring songs, fairy tales, opera, books and a great deal of poetry

oh, grief - just looked further...

...the song is loud, with an impressive range of whistles, trills and gurgles. Singing at dawn, during the hour before sunrise, the most characteristic feature of the song is a loud whistling crescendo - it has a frog-like alarm call

yep! that's my boy

thanks V & B - do you want me to send you a recording to play at night? ??!!!

Agree with VĂ©ro. At least it is not our local barn owl, then you get to hear a bird at night.

Wild cats, nightingale high up tree, he is on the thin branches where cats can't go. So, solution as give, enjoy it.

Nightingale, probably. Enjoy them!