Calling UK?

All my calls to the UK since being here in France have either been via whatsapp, facetime or skype, but today I need to call someone on a UK landline number.

The issue is that, although I could call using a regular telephone via my livebox, I don’t have a regular phone as only ever use my mobile. I have an SFR mobile and will be changing to RED in Jan - RED have the an option for I think 1€/month to be able to call UK landlines, but not there yet unfortunately.

Is there any alternative way that I could call the UK except using my SFR mobile which I’m sure would be quite pricey??? Much appreciate any ideas :+1:

Put some credits on Skype and ring using that? The rates aren’t too bad…

2 Likes

Thanks @AngelaR , I’ll take a look at that. When I think about all the landline phones I’ve chucked out over the years, could kick myself now :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve used Skype from time to time for texting too - it’s a handy backup measure!

Why not just borrow one, or buy a cheap one? It doesn’t need to be anything special.

It seems a bit limiting to have the “ligne fixte” service on your Livebox & not to use it.

3 Likes

As Badger says Go to Darty ligne fix €10 then you have it for ever or my mobile calls wih Soch to UK cost €0.60 per minute

How long are you going to talk for?

2 Likes

Yes @Badger @Yorky1 think I’ll buy one as that’s probably best longer term, even though I don’t really use a landline. Just on very very rare occasions, but I guess at least then I’ll have it. Got just about every other tech stuff known to mankind except a landline phone :sleepy: law of sod :smiley: for the call today, guess will take a look at the skype option unless any other idea springs to mind in the meantime.

I agree about the longer term solution but for the moment, the Skype call will cost you a great deal less!

1 Like

I used Skype like that some years back, but then after a longer than usual period of non use they sent me a message to say that if I didn’t use it I would lose the credit. But all I had to do, they said, was send one small text and everything would be ok. I did that and then later I noticed that all my credit had gone, so I put another €10 on it. A little while later I noticed that my credit was €15, so they hadn’t cancelled the fiver after all, After all that was used up I never paid anymore, rather ticked off at the subterfuge. The short, and infrequent, texts on my phone don’t cost much anyway and Leclerc don’t pay sneaky tricks on me if the credit gets low. :grinning:

Have a look at toolani. There’s other similar sites - but it’s a useful thing to have in general. Allows cheap international calls. Easier to Google than me waffle on.

1 Like

Yipeeee :partying_face: :partying_face:

Had a root around in an unpacked box in the garage and thrilled to find a uk landline phone that I thought I’d ditched when moved - now just to try to get it rigged up!

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions - much appreciated :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I was more concerned about getting my fixed phone line when I moved than having a mobile phone. I havn’t had to pay for calls to the UK and other countries for nearly 15 years plus and it comes in handy when calling official numbers like the pensions and revenue numbers,being free from here. Now I have no idea what my new phone number is after the same one for 32 years. :roll_eyes:

After solving the UK landline challenge with finding a landline phone, I now want to be able to call a UK mobile from France. I have the sosh internet and mobile, but wanted to avoid charges on both of these.

Is there any other way I could call a UK mobile from France??? Thanks for any ideas :+1:

FaceTime (iThings only), WhatsApp, Telegram or Signal if you don’t have WiFi Calling available on your mobile.

1 Like

Higher levels of French phone subscription still include UK calls I believe.

There’s a campaign Que Choisir is in with consumer orgs across Europe at EU level, to require phone networks to apply the free roaming calls in EU to calls made to the EU from home countries as well. Currently all the operators I’ve checked do include the UK on their Europe list so might change eventually.

I’ve been using Skype but since Microsoft grabbed them they’ve been getting expensive. UK friends say they’ve moved to Whatsapp and it’s on my list to check. I do think the solution is to use data rather than voice minutes though somehow.

1 Like

That is an ideal solution. Really cheap calls too. Bunged a tenner at skype three months ago and still have six left. Great option

2 Likes

I thought calls were free on Skype, I used to put credit on it for texts, easier using a computer than a phone.
Have things changed, haven’t used it for ages?

I use an app called Libon to call mobiles abroad.

Yep calling someone if they are also using Skype is indeed free. I use it to call my mother, we bought her a tablet from Amazon during the pandemic.

If however you’re using Skype to call a landline or mobile phone, then that’s where there are charges… but they’re very reasonable compared to Orange.

1 Like

WhatsApp is wonderful for calling mobiles free anywhere in the world, as long as the person you’re calling also has WhatsApp…

Just in the last month, I’ve spent 9 3/4 hours on video/non-video calls via WhatsApp, which has used a mere 1.8G of data. I never ever remotely use up my monthly 60G data allowance (on Reglo)…

Without doubt, for me, WhatsApp has made the job of keeping in touch with family and friends all over the world very easy (and of course free). I wished it had existed last time I lived in France, 25 years ago!

1 Like