Can dog collars pose a risk of injury/death?

that was his bit. Where did he live before he met you because I can tell you without meeting him why he does it.

He was a dog who had otherwise been hurt

I used to have a German Shepherd that was very protective of his collar. It was 5 rows of linked chain a bit like a choker and once my sister put it on around her neck while sitting in a chair. The dog jumped on her lap and nuzzled her till she took it off and put it back on him.

He probably thinks it makes him invisible and now I'll rumble that it's actually him causing mayhem and blaming it on the pup. Hmm, sneaky.

No = Ali's just worked it out - working as a lie detector (what were they in Harry Potter?) HP is her bible now btw _ your next door neighbour is a Death Eater!

Spitzer! Must have collar in public. In the house not a problem. In public I have a decency to keep up - how do you think this yunger Hugo will understand?

I took mine (well, not mine, the dogs') off this evening. They were all fine apart from Whisky the spitz who started spinning round in circles then jumping up to try and grab it - he looked panic stricken as though I'd asked him to run around in public naked, lol.

Walkies got cancelled here completely for the first time for months. Rain doesn't normally bother us too much but this is more like having a shower head on full blast!

I have always had dogs and they have almost always kept their collars on all the time. My current 2 do have clip collars not buckles, but it never really occurred to me they would hurt themselves while playing. Cats have collars with elastic bits but I have never seen anything similar for dogs. My dogs never go further than the front yard (no shrubs or trees) with out me though. I might start taking them off - tonight!

She is 24k on a smallish frame, she has spagheti legs especially if the ground isnt flat.She is better than she was and is quite happy, if a little bemused by it all, we walk about 10 minutes twice a day and that is enough. She has tablets to encourage the oxygen into her brain, not that I was ever sure she had one! She is very cuddly, so I am just going with the flow! Blooming creatures! Cant loose another one so soon!!

Hi Annie

If the vet thinks Meg has had a stroke, then you have to accept their expertise. We have had no experience of this, but the average age of a Lab is 12 years of age, so in my view she is not too young at 9.

Is she showing signs of any type of paralysis in her limbs, or has her facial expression changed, eg mouth sagged on one side, or one eye half closed?

Is she, like many Labs, a big 'Hippo' show style type lab, or a slim, sleek working type dog. If the former, then a stroke would be more likely. Sorry, not much help.

I'm thinking of building an ark! Thank goodness we live on a hill.!Here too walkies will be brief!!

Our hillside is waterlogged again. Walkies this afternoon will not exceed 10 minutes.

sensible girls if the weather with you is anything like here - wet and grey...

Hi Alan, have you any experience with a Lab that has had a stroke? Our vet thinks that is what has happened to Meg, she is 9 , so a bit young. Do you have any ideas??? Thanks.

Both fast asleep in front of the fire!I might just join them..........

Yes, for safety sake collars should be used only when required. When dogs come into our kennels we always take collars off. Likewise with our own dogs collars are only used for training, and for when dogs are required to walk on a lead, or are walking off lead in a public place.

Dogs when working should also never have a collar on for fear of getting snagged in undergrowth. French hunters use collars, often red in color, with or without a bell. This is probably because the dog has not been trained to return to it's owner and/or because french hunters will virtually shoot at any movement without observing the rules covered in the french hunting examination.

Thought for the Day, 'Most things that are dangerous only become so when it is too late.'

Ouch! That must have been painful for him, poor thing. Luckily Hugo is short haired and the chain links are large so I haven't noticed that happening.

Despite not being allowed out the door on the leads until they've sat down and calmed down, once Hugo's across the threshold he becomes ridiculously excitable and on anything less than a chain I'd lose him - he'd be off doing a whoopee and jumping for joy down the lanes. And of course he then refuses to come, no matter how 'happy' I sound, unless he's finished his romp around. He's a stubborn beastie. The older dogs are soooo much better behaved.

Only use collars when we take them out apart from the snagging problem they also cause the hair to mat and roll around the collar i have had Old English where he collar has had to be cut off the hair has matted so much

Ha ha ha, your poor cat. Mine tend to thump the dogs.