Can dog collars pose a risk of injury/death?

All of mine are actually buckle-type which is generally the only type I've seen over here. Hugo, typically different, has a piece of chain held by a metal clip because he's already snapped two leather collars (strong boy!) and refuses point blank to come when called.

I think I'm going to have to re-train myself to remove everything while they're at home, apart from Hugo's zapping collar for the fence but that has a quick release anyway.

Our mutts collar comes off last thing at night so she knows it's time to stop mugging the cat & go to sleep.

Bless them!

Yes they are, I had a dog who got stuck in a fence and nearly strangled herself trying to get free. Luckily I found her but she was ill for days. The ones our dogs have now are merely there to hold ID tags but either open when pulled even slightly or slip off over their heads if they are snagged in something. I use choke chains for walking, never something attached to a leather strap type collar or the like.

The labs play tug each other, but only when Nel wants Meg to chase her, some one once told me this was dangerous, it has never been so for me as she only does it when we are out walking and I am there. She hasnt been doing it the lsat 2 weeks, I thnk she knows Meg is not well. If the dogs are not surveyed and are prone to do it, I guess it could be dangerous, but if they are with you most of the time or sleepy heads like the labs, (nothing to do? we'll go to sleep) I dont think you need to worry too much.

Nell is still being a really good dog, and Meg I think is making a little progress, she just has spaghetti legs inthe evening when she is tired, and even tried to go upstairs yesterday, had to be carried, which she didnt like so still off limits!

We always took Cagney's collar off in the house - as putting her collar and lead on was very much part of the getting ready for a walk excitement for her. She used to play rough and tumble with her friend Phoebe in the park but they rarely went for each other's collars. We tended to keep Cagney's collar fairly loose - which meant that on the one occasion where collar tugging did happen it simply came off over her head - which was fairly amusing and Phoebe was left momentarily confused with a collar in her mouth but Cags about 100 yards away. Collar was dropped and play resumed.

I would however say that collars off at home is a good idea - not just from any safety worries but also because it gives a firmer delineation between home and out - it would've been a bit like keeping your coat on in the house from Cagney's point of view!