Can I appeal against Habitation tax?

A few years ago I bought a second house in a nearby town - I’ve been letting it through AirBnB but it barely covers its costs so I decided to sell it - it’s been on the market for a few months. My Habitation tax there is very high, supposedly because it is a Maison Secondaire. Somebody told me recently that if you can prove that a house is on the market you can get the tax reduced - he had read this somewhere but couldn’t remember where. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I’d love to get a reduction if it’s possible! Thanks.

Hi,
Not AFAIK
Owners of second homes do not benefit from a housing tax exemption. This type of housing is also liable to tax like the principal residence, even if vacant.
Allowances for people of modest or family-based status and the income-based ceiling, which may be granted for the principal residence, are not applicable to secondary residences.
More info here.

3 exceptions exist

1)For professional reasons you are obliged to reside in a different place than your main residence (you can then request an exemption for your second home)
2)You retain the enjoyment of your principal residence but you are permanently housed in a care facility (you can then apply for an exemption for your second home)
3)You can not use your second home as a main dwelling for reasons beyond your control (for example, a town planning operation requires work in your dwelling)

Hi Harriet… if the house is empty (unfurnished) with the services cut-off (ie no water) … then you could apply to have the TH lifted. Might make sense to do that during the time (maybe years) it takes to sell.

Incidentally… there will be quite high capital gains to pay on any profit at the sale… as it is not your home, as such. Just something to bear in mind.

Not according to the government site above.

Tracey… we have properties in the village for which the Owners have successfully applied to NOT be charged TH. In order to comply with the regulations… the houses must be empty and uninhabitable (ie no water supply). Of course the test-date is 1st January for the current year’s exemption.

The govt have made it plain that they will not look kindly on folk who fulfill the legislation on 1 January… and then sneakily use the property later in the year… :zipper_mouth_face:

Perhaps there has been a change or the situations are not exactly the same… perhaps folk who have benefited will no longer… who knows. :thinking:

Only going by what the site says!
Of course anyone can apply, but it does not mean they will get accepted. :zipper_mouth_face:

That does not refer to a maison secondaire

I suggest Harriet talks to her Mairie for advice on how to minimise the costs of the second house.

and… some areas do impose a special Tax on empty properties… arrrrrgh… sometimes you just can’t win… :wink:

Tracey… Harriet’s second property is rented out (or not)… Her Mairie will be able to advise her on how to cut costs.

I have merely outlined what has happened - and is still happening in our area of France. :relaxed:

OK, no need to explain yourself to me? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: lol

As far as I can see , if someone has more than a single property… one will be judged as Main Residence… all other properties owned by that person are considered “secondaire” …

Secondaire Properties rented out might well be classed as meuble de tourisme with all that that entails…

Secondaire Properties with long term tenants might be considered logements with all that that entails…

Whatever, it is probably a good idea to discuss with the Mairie what plans one might have for a property… and follow their advice.

1 Like

Hi Harriet,
In addition to what Stella has said, please do consider seeing a tax adviser from your local Tax office. Afterall, this is a tax issue and best to get it straight from the horses mouth.
Good luck

As an aside… Folk many areas are horrified to find that their/our local Tax Offices/Tresors/(whatever) are being closed… due to “centralization”. The idea being that folk can do everything on-line (huh) and will rarely need to speak with “a person”. :zipper_mouth_face:

:crazy_face::zipper_mouth_face::cry:

Yup, ours has gone, closed shop this past year :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
I’m au fait online but realise this is not acceptable for everyone.

When/if one has an addball question… it is so much easier to do the face-to-face stuff… :slight_smile:

And also do check that it’s not one of the areas that impose a surcharge on second homes. You’d kick yourself if you opened pandora’s box and ended up being charged more not less!

https://www.toutsurmesfinances.com/impots/surtaxe-de-la-taxe-d-habitation-sur-les-residences-secondaires-logements-et-liste-des-villes.html

1 Like

Yes, it is a difficult thing to get right.

(All AirBnB rentals are supposed to be notified to the “powers that be” so I doubt this will be a surprise to anyone… The Mairie, at least, should already be aware. )

Many thanks to Stella, Tracey and Jane for all your comments. Sounds like this is not the way to go for me as I pan to go on doing summer lets till the house sells.

2 Likes