Can I move plants to France

So I’m starting to make plans for the future move to France and I wanted ask if anyone knew whether I am able to move any of my garden plants to France when I eventually make the permanent move. I have a number of roses, small trees and plants in pots like rhododendrons is quite like to bring with me. But I wasn’t sure if there were regulations or import restrictions that prevented me from doing so. Does anybody know? I tried looking it up but it was a bit unclear as most of the info was regarding import and export for business purposes not regarding private individuals. Any advice gratefully received.

When we moved, we brought a few in pots with no problems, but with you know what looming, best to move them before the end of March. Don’t know why we bothered, none of ours survived the 1st winter.

1 Like

We bought quite a lot with us in the back of the removal van. No probs, the removal men were thrilled…not.

2 Likes

As Mark says - should be ok up to B-day. After that phytosanitary regulations might kick in.

1 Like

Yo Dawg, bring da plants, bring many !

xzibit-weed-memes

4 Likes

Yep… a company I worked for years ago… all plants going out of UK had to have a Phyto certificate… :zipper_mouth_face:

Not sure when the need “stopped” or if , indeed , it did actually stop. I know some plants are forbidden to move from one country to another… (FiLaw used to smuggle cuttings in his pockets… naughty boy)

Someone must know the legislation… ???

Welcome back Stella, bit of reading for you

1 Like

That’s what I read before Chris but it seems to apply to plant importers rather than individuals personal plants but I know who to contact to confirm this now. Interesting piece in their on wooden products though. Such as pallets and spools etc. That could add significantly to haulage costs if they don’t already meet current standards

I will look into it further I don’t want to get my plants confiscated and destroyed if I can’t bring them I can at least then sell them on and make some extra cash.

Brian… as I recall in the dim and distant… don’t Ferry companies tell you what you can and can’t take on board… and airlines… ??? eg I know there was a ban on meat products from UK at one time… and fireworks… :roll_eyes:

That’s also true I’ll check that out to Stella thanks

1 Like

Meat products banned via the tunnel during the last F & M outbreak. All cars were made to drive through a shallow trough of some solution.
Friends of ours brought a trailer load of fruit trees, no problem, but it could be different now.

Wood, trees and pallets are v risky now as lots of possible insects and diseases and trees are under such threat. So even if you are allowed to do so I would want to be sure I wasn’t natural landscape by doing so. After all the box moth that is devastating our landscape was due to box bush imports that must have had eggs with them.

But it terms of what you can do, perhaps look at what is allowed to be brought into France from non-EU countries, as that’s what the UK will be. And it’s 5 plants for personal use, 1kg of bulbs and 5 packets of seeds… whether anyone will ever check is another matter!

The guidance was updated today. But irritatingly they don’t list the changes. Anyway here it is…

I found this info for the Traveller who wants to bring personal amount of stuff into France.

The first table lists those basically not allowed = 0kg/unit

and the 2nd and 3rd chart show the small amounts a traveller can bring into France in their travel bags.

From legifrance.gouv.fr

You’ll notice it does not say plants bare-rooted or potted. I suspect those should be discussed with the appropriate Customs beforehand. Why not ask at your local Garden Centre or (if you are popping to France) ask at the border where you go through controls.

I’ve read elsewhere that potted plants etc are NOT allowed without a certificate… so you could simply take a risk… but everything is meant to be inside the travel bags rather than a car full… if you get my drift… and the idea is to avoid contamination etc etc… very serious stuff… so watch how you go… it won’t be too difficult to do things correctly.