Can you choose to which Urgence you want to be sent

Twice recently we have had to make use of the Urgence dept of the same hospital and both were bad experiences. We live 30 minutes from two hospitals. From the reviews one has an excellent reputation the other the one we used has a lousy reputation . If and when we have another emergency and have to contact the pompiers can we choose which hospital to go to?

You may have to do a large persuasion job. Pompiers tend to go to “their” hospital, so may well depends which crew turns out.

Very sorry to read about your urgences, we keep looking out for you at La Monnaie on Saturdays.

From experience, it depends on the Pompiers and your reasons for preferring a particular hospital.

A few years ago, a neighbour fell ill… we called the pompiers who wanted to take the neighbour to Hospital A… and the neighbour absolutely refused to go… due to a horrific experience previously in A&E at Hospital A.

thankfully the pompiers agreed to take the feisty neighbour to Hospital B which was about the same distance, with an excellent reputation for speedy care at A&E.

Hope you get lucky if you ever need the Pompiers…

1 Like

I don’t think you can normally, it is often where there is space or as someone said where is the normal destination. We are a bit in that situation. Bergerac is not great and Perigueux better, I’ve had discussions with people here who say they’d rather drive someone to PX rather than be taken to Berg.

Thanks for the information at least I know exactly what to do if there is a next time. My OH is getting better but it’s very slow. The first call was from the doctor’s surgery and was to samu. I think there was 6 of them all crowded into a tiny space two drivers two stretcher bearers one in charge all watching the nurse clumsily trying to get a bit of blood. Not a situation designed to put the patient at ease! The second time was from home and it was the pompiers smart clean just 4 but everyone new exactly what to do. They made the samu team look like a bunch of amateurs. So if there is a next time I know who to call out

1 Like

Absolutely. I’ve learnt from day 1 here, always call the pompiers - confirmed by the fact that they were the frontline staff in the context of Covid vaccination (in case of anaphylactic shock).

We too have an issue - midway between two hospitals and only one with a good reputation. I’d emphasise (whichever one of us needs help) that we already are being treated / monitored / have consultants at the good hospital and hope that works for us.

3 Likes