Cancelling French insurance when registering car in uk

We are currently in the process of selling up in France and moving back to the Uk (health reasons, not Brexit).
We have a UK car which is now French registered and will be taking this back to the UK.
After numerous attempts to contact our insurance agent at AXA to ask what is required from us to cancel the car insurance I have been unable to get any response to phone calls or emails.
Could anyone here advise me on the process of cancelling car insurance when you are exporting the car ?
tIA
Joyce

Hi Joyce… I’m sure others will chime in…

I think the French Insurance Co will want to be sure the car is covered by Insurance (somewhere/some how). So I reckon you should send a copy of the new UK Insurance for the car - when you get it done… along with a letter cancelling the French Insurance. Send the package by Registered Post and you should be OK.

Don’t forget to notify France when you change to UK Registration otherwise you might be on the Prefecture’s books for ever :woozy_face: :thinking: :wink:

Thank you Stella

That’s very helpful

We changed our car insurance last year, so had to cancel the old one. In the small print of the contract it said that you needed to send a letter of realisation by registered post to the main office of the company. They don’t care whether or not you have new insurance as not their business to police things. I can’t see that exporting a car is any different from any other reason to cancel insurance, so that’s what I’d do. If you do it after you have exported the car and got new insurance then you will probably be charged an extra month’s insurance fee (or not get that month back if you pay annually) as they normally need 30 day’s notice - check what your contract says.

Madame, Monsieur, Par la présente je vous informe de mon changement de situation personnelle [indiquez le changement : mariage, divorce, etc…] le [date]. Conformément à l’article L113-16 du code des assurances , je souhaite donc que le contrat d’ assurance automobile numéro [référence contrat] soit résilié.

Dans l’attente de la prise en considération de cette résiliation, je vous prie d’agréer, (Madame, Monsieur) (Nom de l’interlocuteur s’il est connu), l’expression de mes meilleurs sentiments.

3 Likes

We all report from our own experiences…

When we visited Allianz to cancel the insurance on one of our cars… the Insurance lady talked things through with us, why we wanted to cancel etc… she explained the importance of car insurance.

She took a copy of the Sale document and a copy of the cancelled carte grise for the files… and we had no problems… and even had a refund for the portion of Insurance we had prepaid.

I do know of folk who have had trouble cancelling Insurance of one sort or another … I think they have reported on this forum.

So, even if it is belt-and-braces… give the Ins all the possible info and then they have not got a leg to stand on… :woozy_face:

Thanks for the specimen letter Jane I have saved it for future reference :hugs:

I think that if you are moving to the competition the the 30 days notice applies but if you have flogged the car it doesn’t. They can’t force you to keep a car you don’t own insured. A copy of the cancelled CG just showed you were in the latter category amd should get all your reddies returned.

Yes, quite possibly. We certainly did not sign a letter - in that instance.

However, I did use the standard letter to cancel Health Insurance when changing companies…

Thanks everyone for youR input and to Jane for the specimen letter. Letter emailed to Axa head office and and everything sorted within a few days.
Many thanks again
Joyce

well, spoke to soon !!! not quite sorted yet. We’ve to complete and sign a form then return it to them. There is a request on the form to send statements of Information (Releve d’information). Any ideas what they are asking for ???

Hi Joice I just did that, bought a RHD car in France then moved back to UK, health reasons. The process is quite simple, inform HMRC you have imported your car then apply for UK registration, for this you will need a valid MOT, include your carte gris with the application. Insure your car as usual with a UK company, my Ford Kuga was actually cheaper to insure here. You simply cancel your French insurance, no need to send evidence of UK cover as quite frankly its nothing to do with them as the car will no longer be registered in France.

Releve d’information is form they give you showing accident history and evidence of no claims discount.

Many thanks Lee. very helpful

Joyce

1 Like