Can't decide if you really want a dog? Foster first

Everyone knows the saying "A dog isn't just for Christmas". Sadly some people are unable to cope with the on-going commitment and expenses involved: the food, vaccinations, sterilisation, illness etc. Others may simply decide their pet is now an inconvenience because they want to travel or it is failing as a hunting dog for example. All these poor souls are then discarded and, if they are fortunate enough, end up at a refuge.

You know you'd love to have a dog but perhaps you're unsure whether it would fit in with your lifestyle, whether you could allocate enough exercise time, whether another dog would get on well with existing pets or animals and are reluctant to accept one into your home permanently in case things don't work out as planned. So what can you do to make sure? FOSTER!

The refuges are overflowing with 'vacation' dogs, unwanted puppies, dogs that didn't do the 'job' expected of them. Some of these thankfully will be adopted into loving homes.

But the older dogs, the ones with a slight disability (deafness, for example) are ignored. People do not want to adopt them. They'd rather have the playful puppy.

So why not foster an old dog? Why not welcome him into your home and see if you're a good "fit"? Let him be a loving companion with a warm place to sleep.

He may not have a great deal of time left. It's so sad that he would have to spend it alone, in a refuge, struggling to get enough food if he's caged with younger ones who always get there first.

I'd like you to meet "Pomme" (official name "Juan"). He is 13 years old (a spaniel typically lives 12-14 years). He is completely deaf, has cataracts and his hind legs are starting to fail him. But he's an absolute darling.

He toddles around after me, even managing a little bounce if he gets excited. He sleeps most of the day, or otherwise has a gentle wander around the garden. He's simply happy to know there's someone around and loves a cuddle.

When it's time for his vaccinations, the vet at the SPA in Limoges takes care of it all. I mentioned he was having trouble stepping into the hard plastic 'basket' because of his legs and was immediately supplied with a soft spongy one. The only thing we have to give is food and a lot of love, especially from Felix - his 'colour twin'.

So, yes, I've posted this as a discussion because I'd like to know:

• if anyone out there has actually been debating whether to get a dog but are unsure whether you can give a life long commitment;

• if you've ever considered fostering or even knew that you could;

• if you may have been persuaded (yes, I'm hopeful) that you do perhaps have room in that unused corner to fit a dog bed containing a beautiful old foster dog, happily snoring away.

I forgot to mention how easy it is - for the SPA (although offices may vary) it literally takes 3 minutes to fill out the form with your name, address and a phone number so they know where to contact you in case someone is looking to adopt the type of dog you're fostering and of course to know where their muttleys are. It's simple!

We also had this little one for 6 weeks - "Gino". The SPA called him "the ugliest dog" because the poor sausage had a hormone imbalance so was bald apart from his head and legs. He was 15 and going strong! By himself, he was an absolute lovely (even though he wouldn't let anyone pick him up) but despite best endeavours he refused to make friends with the rest of the crew and we had to let him go back. But what a cute face!!

"have your 'fix' without the commitment" - absolutely spot on Lynn!! Why didn't I put it like that. That's exactly right. You have the fantastic opportunity to share love, companionship, walks in the countryside while you are able - it's not a permanent arrangement. And the refuges are so helpful. They are not going to 'lumber' you with an animal you can't keep permanently. The support system is there in case there are any problems and the dogs at least have some respite from the stress of the refuge. And cats obviously - that's how we got Felix, Melissa's baby.

Fostering is so rewarding Valerie.

From a Rescue Centre point of view, it is also essential, especially people who are not in France permanently, you can have your 'fix' without the commitment whilst at the same time knowing that you are providing an invaluable service!