Car breakdown Cover

Hello and a Happy New Year to all,

Anybody got a recommendation on French breakdown cover, I guess the French equivalent of AA/RAC?

Thanks and regards,

Paul

It usually comes with your car insurance…

3 Likes

As Graham says. Normally when you choose your level of car insurance, you also choose the level of breakdown cover you want. So there is no need in France for standalone breakdown cover.

1 Like

Thank you for your replies. We are still juggling with a UK car on UK insurance and green card at the moment but at some point will need to switch over and buy a French car and insurance so will certainly take it out then. I’ve
got six months green card so time enough but my UK breakdown cover will only cover three months hence the question.

Do either of you have any experience of registering a UK in France is it relatively straightforward? Just looking at costs of cars in france and they obviously are high in comparison.

As per Dan’s link. Under French law you’re obliged to register your car within one month of taking up residence in France.
Have you told your UK insurer that you’ve moved? Read the small print of your policy but normally UK car insurance policies are for UK residents only. Not telling your insurers that you’re no longer resident in the UK can be regarded as “failing to disclose a material fact” which can invalidate your policy.
Sorry an’ all, but you need to be aware. I think you need to get onto it in the New Year, six months would be pushing it. You can take out French insurance straight away while it’s still on UK plates (which will also cover you for breakdowns), and they’ll give you a month or two to transfer it and give them a copy of the new registration document.

1 Like

Thanks - I’m still resident in UK and car still registered in UK as I bring it back for work, 6 months France six months UK but see your point if I were resident full time.

Will be shopping for a French one in the New Year and look at the options.

Great assistance as always. Happy New Year.

Ah I hadn’t realised that.
In that case you could look at https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac-membership/
for breakdown cover.

British car, British resident, surely you should be looking at the RAC or AA.
If you are still a British resident why did you say that you were juggling the U.K. registered car?