Carte de sejour . A very long wait

From what I’ve read and understood many prefectures have held fire on processing British applications for the CdS UE since it appeared that Brexit was inevitable and there was no point in going through the expensive procedure to produce a card that would need to be changed sooner gather than later. Once the Interior Ministry had opened its online site inviting Britons to apply for the card that they would need after the predicated no deal there was even less need to issue the ‘old’ cards. No deal seems less likely now and I’m sure that those people who have ‘applied’ online will find that the site evolves to take that into account. Spending time trying to speak to someone at the prefecture to chase up the outdated system seems to be pointless since the process has moved on. I believe I’m right in thinking that the new online system is no more demanding than the original application process through the prefecture.

1 Like

Hi Barry, we applied for ours under the “old” method by sending in docs by post.
I emailed them a few days afterwards and got a reply to say they had received it. That was the end of October last year.

I sent 2 or3 emails over time and one was answered saying they were dealing with it. We got an e mail and letter with a date for an interview in September. We attended taking a couple of docs they requested, had our fingerprints taken.

We collected our cards following an email from them. That was Wednesday this week. We have 10 year ones.

I know the format has changed now, done on line so I don’t know how its working or the time it is taking.

Hope you get sorted soon. The position in the UK is not good and remains a source of stress. There is a period of grace from the French Gov. So I wouldnt worry too much. Regards.

As far as working time is concerned the prefecture was closed for other business on Wednesday. It was just for CDS and for people claiming asylum.

It appears that they are working to a period of 12 months for the process.

Thankyou, nice to get a bit of assurance,
I sent my documents tracked but not signed for, as the mairie/ post said that’s all that was needed so I know they arrived but never had any contact from the prefecture to say they are been processed or they had them.
Funny why my friends were emailed to say reapply on line.
So if you think it’s around a year then late January before I hear anything.

It’s when you don’t hear anything you think your documents have been lost so you worry.
Thankyou for your reply.

Surely the CdS applied for today will mean that it will be an EU member card but when (?) the UK leaves then a non-EU CdS will be required.
Rather than go through all the hoops for the wrong card & then have to exchange it I am going to wait until everyone actually knows what is going on.
It is not as if we will be expected to produce one the day after Brexit!

3 Likes

I had a look at the new site to see what documents I would need ; it seems harmless, but I don’t want to start a process that may ultimately need doing a second time…I’m crap enough as it is as regards admin, & like to spend as little time as is humanly possible, dealing with it.

2 Likes

But individual circumstances can come into it too, everyone isn’t in exactly the same situation.
For instance I have been tossing up the idea of slightly-early-retiring for quite a while now - I can afford to, just about, and I don’t want to hold off retiring until I’m too decrepit to enjoy the time I have left. In fact it’s got to the point where my main reason for holding off is because of Brexit, which I resent. So my thinking at the beginning of this year was that if I got a CDS as a worker rather than as an inactif, maybe just maybe when/if Brexit happens and I have to exchange it, then I might automatically get a CDS that allows me to work even if my status has changed to inactif by that time. Which would be good because I would then have the option of taking on a few projects in the future if I wanted/needed to. Current thinking is that I’ll keep on working until 31st Jan but if that’s followed by a longer extension of a year or so, which seems unlikely but who knows, I really don’t want to wait that long. So having a CDS already, might possibly be an advantage for me. Who knows if my little ruse will work or not, but that was my thinking in getting a CDS earlier rather than later.

Will anyone ever know what is going on?

I guess that you haven’t read the Interior Ministry site then. Not that it matters considering that you will have six months after whenever Brexit happens to respond. It’s worth seeing which documents are required for a no-deal Brexit though as they probably won’t change too much if there’s a deal.

The permanent card gives you the right to work. We are ‘inactifs’ but our cards state “séjour permanent toutes activités professionnelles”.

I don’t recall the details now but after reading the original proposed legislation on the French govt website, it did seem to me that there was some doubt over whether the cds that inactif Brits will get as non EU citizens, will give them the right to work. At present Brits automatically have the right to work in France by virtue of being EU citizens, whether they’re in France as students or as inactifs or whatever, so that will be reflected on your cds - it doesn’t matter what your status is, you can switch from one to another at will. But after Brexit Brits won’t have the automatic right to work, they will need work permits. It’s been agreed that those who are working in France immediately prior to Brexit will be able to carry on working, but I’m not sure that those who have never exercised that particular right, will be accorded it. There won’t be the same liberty to switch status. Students for instance won’t automatically be able to stay on after they’ve finished their studies.
Could be wrong, I haven’t revisited the topic recently, but that’s how I remember it.

1 Like

You may well be right! We were just surprised to read this as we didn’t expect it. Your strategy seems logical :crossed_fingers:t3:, but I can also recommend early retirement​:slightly_smiling_face:

6 months then what? Do you get a receipt for the customs when you travel in and out of Europe? As they don’t even acknowledge receipt of application now.

The only answer to your question is, then the French authorities have until a year after the Brexit date to fulfil their part. I don’t understand what you mean about going in and out of Europe.
The process is simple; you apply, in English using an English Language online form uploading the documents that your situation requires. Once you have done that you will immediately receive an email telling you that your application has arrived; that if there are any problems they will be in touch; if all is a OK you will be informed of a date for an appointment to present yourself with passport photos and have your fingerprints taken before the card itself is posted to your home address.
Read it for yourself, hopefully the link will go straight to the English language page.
https://contacts-demarches.interieur.gouv.fr/brexit/brexit-residence-permit-application/
At the moment it is talking about a no deal Brexit because that was the expected outcome, it is presumed that if there is a deal your application will stand but more information will be asked for if required. In fact a no deal should result in a slightly easier application process.
It’s also worth noticing how ‘generous’ France is being as the income requirements and fee are much less than for other third nation applicants.

It also advises you to keep safe the “receipt” email which is sent out to each person who applies on-line… the receipt gives each applicant a unique number which may be useful in the future…

1 Like

Well I’ve already applied last January as I’ve said but not had anything back from the prefecture.
That’s why I said if you don’t get a receipt what happens when travelling as there was going to be a 90 day limit in Europe I think without one.

I didn’t know there was a website in English to apply, but I can’t really apply twice.

That does look a lot easier, in the end they could just see who pays habitation tax and tax over here in two minutes and how long they have been here and issue them.

You will not be applying twice you will be applying for the card that you will need after Brexit, not the one that you are entitled to as an EU citizen. In fact you will need to apply online at some point so do it now and get your email conformation.
This website has been very well publicised, there is even a direct link to it from the gov.uk site.
Apply soon, don’t stress about your previous application because even if they do process it you will have to change that card anyway.

That wouldn’t work as second home owners pay those taxes as well. They’ve made the application process very simple, take advantage of it.

1 Like