Carte de sejour interview

sounds fascinating… can you hold “Residency” in more than one country???

surely you’re Resident in one and Visitor in another… ???

Yes, as long as you have met the 183 day rule and obligations such as turning in a tax return (even if €0 to pay due to the double taxation treaty). If your 5 year card goes beyond your 5 years residence you can either go to your prefecture once you hit the 5 years here or just wait until it expires and then you will get the 10 year one.

1 Like

I appreciate I’m becoming ‘one of those people’ who bangs on about the same topic repeatedly every time a related thing is brought up :see_no_evil: but do we have any exact details on how this will work yet @toryroo? I know @AngelaR is in the same position as I am in being a little shy of the 5 years to apply a Permanent card, but between the mental aspect of it being permanent rather than temporary, and the increased time you can be out of France (not that that’s an issue at the moment with Covid but who knows what the future may bring) I would be keen to trade up at the earliest opportunity rather than wait for the 5 year card to expire.

And you have every right to! As soon as you hit the 5 year mark you can go into the pref with your proof of arrival date docs, passport, and current proof of domicile (same list as needed for those that were already over the 5 years) and they will process it. I’d perhaps be wary of putting more work on their shoulders until they have got all the cards out though and leave it until after everyone at least has a card.

2 Likes

Thank you for yet another fast and detailed answer as always!

Oh yes, definitely, I will likely wait until next year, there’s no hurry to get one any time soon so I’d probably not bother until normal life is resumed a bit more… if that ever happens :roll_eyes::see_no_evil:

1 Like

Having read a few of the posts above I feel just a little smug!

I applied in June this year using the French government web site, submitting one of my early tax returns, a 2020 EDF bill & a copy of my passport. A dossier number arrived by return email. A few weeks ago I was invited to the prefecture in Angouleme for fingerprinting. At the appointed minute I was invited in, asked to confirm my details & sign a document, my thumb prints only were taken & my photo booth picture cut out of the block of 6. Out in 5 minutes with an assurance that my cds will be sent to me in about 6 to 8 weeks.
A friend applied for his last year (pre-Brexit) & is still waiting for his summons to the prefecture although he does have a dossier number.

Funnily enough, I also posted on the subject of driving licences (UK driving licences after Brexit - I'm glad I did not panic!) also in 2019 & was confident until the beginning of this year when things looked a little shaky! However, I felt that nobody would relish a sudden influx of stuck-in-their-ways older drivers being suddenly unleashed onto unsuspecting driving schools & that common sense would prevail. Fortunately it did & the status quo has resumed.

3 Likes

Not exactly as there is still a huge backlog of people wanting to exchange, and can’t.

‘French govt website’? So you didn’t apply through your local department?

Wanting to change or needing to change?

No,
I went here - Saisine des services de l'État - Contacts-démarches - Démarches - Online residence permit application procedure for British nationals and their family members residing in France or coming to settle in France before 31 December 2020 - Saisine en ligne

1 Like

@corrie

Who did? There was never a local route for a post-Brexit carte de séjour surely? They briefly opened and online way of registering last year, and then closed it again until the portal linked above opened.

We had previous UE cards via our local préfecture, but not since Brexit.

Wanting, for the minute. But far less stressful to change now than wait until it become and urgent need.

I applied through the Charente 16 prefecture. Today they have just replied to my follow up enquiry:

Due to the large number of applications we receive, we are unable to give you a processing time for the files. However, please be aware that we do our best to process applications as quickly as possible. When we process your application, we will contact you to ask for the documents (if we are missing any) or to call you to finalise your file. We therefore ask you to be patient. Moreover, the residence permit is only compulsory for British nationals from 1 January 2022.

JANUARY? WTF?!

@corrie

Vaguely, when did you arrive in France ?? was it after 31/12/2020 ???

It seems you did apply through your Prefecture…

“En revanche, les ressortissants britanniques qui s’installent en France depuis le 1er janvier 2021 sont soumis aux dispositions du droit commun. Ils doivent solliciter la délivrance d’un titre de séjour directement en préfecture.”

this would fit with the prefecture’s suggested date for when you need the CdS in your hand.

2 Likes

Text deleted…

EDIT…stella has worked it out!

1 Like

I have been resident since August 2017 and had opened bank account and stuff earlier that year. Now I’m worried I’ve made the wrong application

@corrie
When did you actually apply to the Prefecture ?

It is quite possible that you should have used the Brexit portal… and if you have the correct documents, you can still go down that route.

1 Like

March 2021. Is the Brexit portal still open?

It is still open for those British Nationals who did not apply in time.

You will have to explain why you missed the deadline… and be sure you do have the documents to confirm your claim of “Residency before 31/12/20”.

If you have been doing your annual French Income Tax Declarations… that sort of thing… you shouldn’t have any problems.

2 Likes