Carte de sejour . A very long wait

I had a look at the new site to see what documents I would need ; it seems harmless, but I don’t want to start a process that may ultimately need doing a second time…I’m crap enough as it is as regards admin, & like to spend as little time as is humanly possible, dealing with it.

2 Likes

But individual circumstances can come into it too, everyone isn’t in exactly the same situation.
For instance I have been tossing up the idea of slightly-early-retiring for quite a while now - I can afford to, just about, and I don’t want to hold off retiring until I’m too decrepit to enjoy the time I have left. In fact it’s got to the point where my main reason for holding off is because of Brexit, which I resent. So my thinking at the beginning of this year was that if I got a CDS as a worker rather than as an inactif, maybe just maybe when/if Brexit happens and I have to exchange it, then I might automatically get a CDS that allows me to work even if my status has changed to inactif by that time. Which would be good because I would then have the option of taking on a few projects in the future if I wanted/needed to. Current thinking is that I’ll keep on working until 31st Jan but if that’s followed by a longer extension of a year or so, which seems unlikely but who knows, I really don’t want to wait that long. So having a CDS already, might possibly be an advantage for me. Who knows if my little ruse will work or not, but that was my thinking in getting a CDS earlier rather than later.

Will anyone ever know what is going on?

I guess that you haven’t read the Interior Ministry site then. Not that it matters considering that you will have six months after whenever Brexit happens to respond. It’s worth seeing which documents are required for a no-deal Brexit though as they probably won’t change too much if there’s a deal.

The permanent card gives you the right to work. We are ‘inactifs’ but our cards state “séjour permanent toutes activités professionnelles”.

I don’t recall the details now but after reading the original proposed legislation on the French govt website, it did seem to me that there was some doubt over whether the cds that inactif Brits will get as non EU citizens, will give them the right to work. At present Brits automatically have the right to work in France by virtue of being EU citizens, whether they’re in France as students or as inactifs or whatever, so that will be reflected on your cds - it doesn’t matter what your status is, you can switch from one to another at will. But after Brexit Brits won’t have the automatic right to work, they will need work permits. It’s been agreed that those who are working in France immediately prior to Brexit will be able to carry on working, but I’m not sure that those who have never exercised that particular right, will be accorded it. There won’t be the same liberty to switch status. Students for instance won’t automatically be able to stay on after they’ve finished their studies.
Could be wrong, I haven’t revisited the topic recently, but that’s how I remember it.

1 Like

You may well be right! We were just surprised to read this as we didn’t expect it. Your strategy seems logical :crossed_fingers:t3:, but I can also recommend early retirement​:slightly_smiling_face:

6 months then what? Do you get a receipt for the customs when you travel in and out of Europe? As they don’t even acknowledge receipt of application now.

The only answer to your question is, then the French authorities have until a year after the Brexit date to fulfil their part. I don’t understand what you mean about going in and out of Europe.
The process is simple; you apply, in English using an English Language online form uploading the documents that your situation requires. Once you have done that you will immediately receive an email telling you that your application has arrived; that if there are any problems they will be in touch; if all is a OK you will be informed of a date for an appointment to present yourself with passport photos and have your fingerprints taken before the card itself is posted to your home address.
Read it for yourself, hopefully the link will go straight to the English language page.
https://contacts-demarches.interieur.gouv.fr/brexit/brexit-residence-permit-application/
At the moment it is talking about a no deal Brexit because that was the expected outcome, it is presumed that if there is a deal your application will stand but more information will be asked for if required. In fact a no deal should result in a slightly easier application process.
It’s also worth noticing how ‘generous’ France is being as the income requirements and fee are much less than for other third nation applicants.

It also advises you to keep safe the “receipt” email which is sent out to each person who applies on-line… the receipt gives each applicant a unique number which may be useful in the future…

1 Like

Well I’ve already applied last January as I’ve said but not had anything back from the prefecture.
That’s why I said if you don’t get a receipt what happens when travelling as there was going to be a 90 day limit in Europe I think without one.

I didn’t know there was a website in English to apply, but I can’t really apply twice.

That does look a lot easier, in the end they could just see who pays habitation tax and tax over here in two minutes and how long they have been here and issue them.

You will not be applying twice you will be applying for the card that you will need after Brexit, not the one that you are entitled to as an EU citizen. In fact you will need to apply online at some point so do it now and get your email conformation.
This website has been very well publicised, there is even a direct link to it from the gov.uk site.
Apply soon, don’t stress about your previous application because even if they do process it you will have to change that card anyway.

That wouldn’t work as second home owners pay those taxes as well. They’ve made the application process very simple, take advantage of it.

1 Like

Thanks Dan,
I’ll get on with it,

Which one?
There is one that starts with this - "With withdrawal agreement

British nationals present in France before 31 December 2020 will have to apply for the new title provided for in the withdrawal agreement. They will be able to make a request before the end of July 2021, according to procedures to be specified later.

British citizens who arrived in France after 1 January 2021 will have to apply for a common law title.

Without withdrawal agreement

It will be necessary to apply for a residence permit after the date of withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union.

British nationals legally residing in France before the date of withdrawal from the United Kingdom will have a period of one year from the date of withdrawal to obtain a permit on simplified terms. The application for a title must be filed within a period of time to be specified by decree.
During this period, their rights of residence, professional activity and all their social rights will be maintained."

1 Like

The post you posted yesterday was incorrect British citizens in France have had the opportunity to apply for the a CdS that they will need as a third country national for a long time now. You need to keep up to date. The link that you need is on this thread. At the moment the ‘new’ system is considering a no deal Brexit but it is presumed that the same application will be valid if a deal is achieved.
I’m really surprised that you have missed this, it was very well reported and discussed.

Dan…

To the best of my knowledge, it has not been possible for someone who is currently an EU citizen to get anywhere with a third-country- status Application in the normal way.

The new on-line scheme specifically for Brits living in France, only recently came into being . Initially as a test, but still live…and appears to be working although the only action is an automated email/receipt.

Brits have been applying for the EU CdS - many of them being successful, although that is tailing off now I understand… as these documents will need to be exchanged when/if Brexit occurs.

I think there may be misunderstandings when one talks about
French Sites…

The link in this thread is for the on-line system now available.

The French Gov site which outlines all the do’s and don’ts of Brexit for Brits… is another thing altogether and has been linked and quoted all over the forum.

this makes interesting reading
https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000038100655&dateTexte=20190209

1 Like

Stella the French Interior Ministry opened a portal for British Citizens to apply for the CdS that they will require after Brexit, the one that will cost €119. I am fairly sure that you have already used the system yourself. Why are you telling me that it is not possible. Too much confusion. Mr Rimmer’s statement yesterday was wrong!

Dan… you appeared to be saying that Mark’s info was incorrect, when he was quoting from the French Gov site.

The on-line system is, as I said, in its infancy - although it is there for folk to have a go if they wish… and yes, it offers a reduced price to that paid by all other non-EU folk.

Of course, there is no need to seek a CdS until after Brexit (if it occurs), The Gouv site outlining the timetable is quite thorough and quite clear. Having read all that stuff, I decided to wait and see. However, when the new on-line was available, I decided to have a go… then I can tell folk of my experience.

1 Like