Carte de séjour - again

It also goes on to say that transitional measures will be adopted. Before scaremongering I suggest that you do some research into PUMA, especially the details of how the system affects pension income. I think that you might be pleasantly surprised. Having a CdS before March 29th changes nothing.

2 Likes

Exactly my point Jane - Before we reached retirement age and pre PUMA we we paying 8% of our revenue that exceeded the allowance set by URSAFF. For us returning to such a financial burden will make it very difficult to ‘Survive’.

@Dan_Wood PUMA does mention ceilings on pensions, below which the percentage… is either reduced or waived altogether… and looking at my pension income… I can’t see that the charge would amount to much… :thinking: Is your Pension as much as your previous earnings ?? if so, then you will perhaps be paying as before… not sure…:thinking:

Please read what PUMA says. Pension income is not treated like other income where the 8% contributions are concerned.
You have not explained why you think that having a CdS before March 29th will make a difference either.

Hi Stella, we came here in 2000 as retirees both under state retirement age which we have subsequently reached - so in real terms our pensions have not kept pace with the cost of living here in france during that time. That is the reason for our concern, particularly as l have an existing illness that attracts 100% assistance for permanent medication and regular examinations.

Hi David - thanks for taking the time and trouble to advise - As l mentioned in an earlier post it was RIFT who are linking the two and l read their advice as somehow, somehow having a CDS would help in keeping one’s health benefits. Obviously not from the research l have done today.

1 Like

Hi Dan… pretty-please… could you change your picture… :thinking: :grinning:

The lower your income (presumably a pension) the more chance you have of exemption or reduced charges.

You are not alone, in coming before retirement… many have done just that, which often means a reduced UK Pension… but I would rather be here than there… and if I have to payout a little… OK… I can cope… perhaps I’ll start selling my chocolates… :wink::hugs:

If you are already in the health system… they are not going to give you problems… especially with a serious health issue…

PUMA does not only benefit retirees because it is based on a percentage of earnings and pensioners usually have less income than workers but also because pension income is not used to calculate the 8% payments. Pensioners would only have to pay contributions on rental income, interest in capital etc. The situation was reviewed recently but no changes were made.

1 Like

Definitely sounds as if OH and I could cope then… cheers David.

1 Like

And if you have an ALD then you will carry on being covered 100% as that’s the French system so nothing to do with UK. So isn’t that a positive thing as even if you end up having to pay cotisations for PUMA you won’t have to pay much else on top?

And as others have said if your income is mainly pension and otherwise low then these won’t be that much. And may even never happen!

Wow ! What a relief, so much unnecessary worry on our part. With only pensions as revenue and no other source we won’t be paying anything towards our health care except fòr our Mutuelle - Thats great news, thank you David

1 Like

If you @Dan_Wood do indeed agree to replace your picture with a mugshot, can you please arrange to take a selfie that includes your stunning scarlet-attired compagne, perhaps the two of you in an affectionate embrace? :kissing_heart::two_hearts:

Hi Peter, l’ll discuss it with him when he gets back from the golf club​:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

Oh dear! My mistake. I have difficulty distinguishing red from green. You were at the last hole? Have a triple tipple at the club house and ask Frank to put in on my tab.

Don’t worry because the carte séjour will change post Brexit, if you are in the system, have lived and paid taxes here, have mutual, support yourselves financially then all good.

1 Like

Does make me giggle :wink: I’m still getting over the fact that we’re all still here following the Y2K debarcle at the turn of the century :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That analogy always makes me laugh. People think that because nothing happened Y2K that was just " project fear". Nothing happened because companies and IT experts realised years in advance that there could be a problem so they worked on and implemented solutions before hand. So when nothing happened people said it was all scare tactics- no it wasn’t. It was forward thinking and planning. Something this government seems distinctly lacking in.

3 Likes

We’re part way through the carte de sejour process in the Aude, we’re lucky compared with a lot of people. They aren’t very helpful on the phone, but you email to request a meeting and they got back to us within 48 hours. OK, it was a five month wait but we knew we were in the system. The people in Carcassonne are very nice.

My husband is still waiting for his S1 from Newcastle, who seem to be inundated but may get back to him towards the end of next month and in the meantime, the people in Carcassonne have put both our dossiers on hold. Once we email his French social security number, we can have our permanent cards.

I emailed over the weekend to let them know we’re still waiting for Newcastle and had an automated reply saying that since the problems there on 22nd December, the Prefecture is closed until further notice. I can’t find any more information on their website at the moment but hope for a reply to my email.

For what it’s worth, we think the French have made more effort to look after us than our own government.

Hello, just thought I’d share my experience of getting a CdS at the Mont de Marsan prefecture. We, like Catharine’s friend, turned up there at around 9 a.m. on a Wednesday in July and were told by the lady on the reception desk that they could only deal with a limited number of people each day, we were too late and that we should aim to turn up at 8 a.m. to make sure we were in with a chance. The next week we were there at 7.45 a.m., and took our places sitting on the wall outside the prefecture beside the one man who’d arrived there before us. Over the next hour or so more people arrived, all clutching their files (no Brits other than ourselves) and at 8.45 the doors were opened and and an orderly queue was formed to receive a numbered ticket (just like at the cheese counter) from the lady who greeted us at the door. It was all very calm and organised and no hint of a bun fight. Having tickets numbered 2 &3 and we were seen together, straight away by a lovely, efficient lady who went through our piles of documents (all were fine though she needed to take another photocopy of our Avis des Impots as we’d only copied the front). Fingerprints were taken and she gave us the papers we would need to take with us when collecting our CdSs. The process took about an hour, and as there are only two people dealing with all ‘foreigner-related’ issues this must explain why they can only accept so many requests a day - they are only open on a morning. Three weeks later we got a letter telling us to go and collect the cards, this time we were able to make an appointment online so no need to sit on walls at the crack of dawn. In and out in a couple of minutes. From what I’ve read about other people’s experiences on similar forums, I reckon Mont de Marsan is one of the better prefectures. Good luck in your CdS mission.

Pretty similar experience down here in the Ariege Lesley except none of the initial waiting / early queueing! Really easy and efficient process - I guess it’s because there are not that many if us immigrants down here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: