Carte de séjour for EU passport holder

@Karenf : as a citizen of an EU member state, there is no legal requirement for you today to apply for, or hold a CDS, your passport or EU member state ID card is sufficient, even if you want to apply for a Carte Vitale. The reason why the Brits you know are banging on about it is because, up until Brexit, we didn’t need one either, then all of a sudden there was a mad rush to get one in case things went pear-shaped, and nobody knew what was going to happen. Since then, the Withdrawal Agreement has been signed, and the French government will be introducing a new registration system for Brits resident in France under the Withdrawal Agreement, the new registration system being entirely online and simplified (by all accounts).

Unless you fear that your own country of nationality will be heading the same way as the UK in the near future, there is no real need to apply for a CDS.

Indeed, now that Perfidious Albion has reared it’s ugly head, how in hell do they expect other countrys/blocks to come to agreement of any sort with that lying bunch of *******(insert rude word of choice) :roll_eyes:

Sounds like “they” are preparing for a “Withdrawal from the withdrawal agreement”
Back to square one ??

WHAT! and cancel Brexshit!!! :grin:

1 Like

As a citizen of an EU member state there is no legal requirement in France currently to apply for or hold a CdS as your passport or EU member state ID card is sufficient evidence of your right of residence. However if you request a residence card ie a CdS then France is obliged to issue one to you. Every other EU state except France requires registration of EU residents & almost all issue a residence card. The only other former EU state not to register resident EU citizens was the UK.

Thank you, Alex.

Thank you, Nigel.
Karen

Hi Karen,

1. you need to apply for an interview at the local office - do not be surprised if it takes 8 month to get it! If you show up at 8am, you are lucky if you get out before lunchtime!
  2. get the required records together
  3. show up for the interview with requested records in French and originals with copies
  4. if they say it will take 2 weeks, well it took 6 month in my case!

You have a nationality other than British? Depending on the prefécture I think you might struggle to get seen as you are the absolute lowest priority for their overstretched resources. Basically because you don’t need one, and there are thousands of third country nationals that do and get harassed and stopped for not having one.

We are British and lived here for years without one, and were it not for Brexshit we would never have bothered. As it happened our préfecture was fine, operated a walk-in service where we had to queue for all of 10 minutes and then the process took 20 minutes, but check yours out first.

Thank you, Jane. I have solved the issue. As you have seen, some have told me I do not need a C d S, so I really don’t want to bother.
Karen

1 Like

Best solution!