Carte Grise for RHD cars

Applies if you are a french resident.

1. You need to get a Quitus from your local tax office. It’s free and simply states that being a second hand car it is not subject to VAT.

2. You need to solve the headlight problem by finding out whether they are adjustable. If not depending on the value of the car, new headlights or scrap obnes from a breakers yard. Many if not most won’t pass a car with ‘holday headlight stickers.’

3. If the vehicle doesn’t have one supplied with the papers, a Certificat de conformité. This is available on demand from the French head office of the manufacturer but expect to pay between 200 and 300€;
    This certificat lets ANTS know what the taxable horsepower is.

4. Then you need a Controle Technique.

5. Once you’ve got all that you can get the French Carte Grise.

What is rather silly is that if you have a French insurer, they are not allowed by law now to insure a foreign registered vehicle for more than a month and you have to go some to get all the above done in a month.

1 Like

Oh my, thanks for the info’ Mark, my friends car will go through the process at the end of this month, so I’ll report back to see how they get on!(I might just have to go on holiday then!!)

Ben most French insurers will give an extension on the insurance, they understand the problems

That’s certainly been my experience over the years. Provided it can be shown that steps are in hand… they are very helpful. It’s when folk make vague promises which they never pursue - that is when the Insurers can turn nasty and rightly so. (seen it happen, not a pretty sight… )

1 Like

When you upload your documents to ANTS you are sent a receipt (accuse). Most insurance agents are happy to continue insurance with this as proof.

2 Likes

I’m not sure it was. I lived in Bayeux abolut five years ago before ANTS and bought a petrol Golf. I got the CDC from VW (more expensive than Mercedes!) and went with all docs to the (sous) prefecture in Bayeaux but they wouldn’t believe the puissance fiscale which from memory was 14. Impossible pour une Golf, they said so I had to ring VW again who had to get the file out of the vaults (again) and they said it was correct but it was done according to the OLD system. I said that was fine but I would still get charged according to the new system! And I was.