Cat poo / litter trays

Unfortunately our doors make a cat flap impossible. He is outside a lot in the day but I’m not getting up in the night to let him in and out!!! And he’s still only little :heart_eyes: Our old cat lived outside a lot of the time so rarely used the tray, I imagine it will be the same with Loki eventually.

The cat who adopted us always went outside until he became frail so we started providing the litter trays plus clumping litter and it worked very well. However, as he became ill, we had to change the litter several times a day as food was going straight through him. Our domestic waste output has dropped by about 3/4 now he’s no longer with us :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Same with us and a dogflap but during the day we leave a veranda slider open a bit with a heavy curtain over it to keep out the draft. He doesn’t need to go out at night.

My sister has a cat flap in her kitchen. Imagine her surprise and horror when coming down one morning to find several others taking shelter in her kitchen from the pouring rain outside. That is why I never wanted one nor to ruin a lovely bespoke wooden door either.

Our main house back in the UK had a cat door that worked of the microchip in their neck so that does not need to be a barrier to having a cat door, our double glazed glass back door had one as well.

That’s what we had here when our cat started to need a cat flap. With there being upwards of 20- feral cats wandering around our house and garden, it was essential. Worked really well too.

We had that problem with with 9 feral cats as well, O wait a minute, the 9 feral cats live inside now :wink::yum::laughing:

4 Likes

That is really interesting. You mean you were able to cut a flap frame in a double glazed window? If the answer is yes we could gain another 9x2 sq.m. heated room in this small house. Please tell. :grinning:

For a dog or cat, In a window yes, in a door no, the glass was in two parts top and bottom, toughened glass and the bottom two panels were redone by a glazing firm as the holes have to be cut then the glass toughened due to safety regulations.
I am not sure now but back then it was only round cat flap holes they did, it wasn’t that expensive and when I moved I just put the original panel back in, this was 8 years ago.

1 Like

Oh I think I see what you mean, they took out a whole panel and fitted a holey one in its place? I suppose the same thing could be done here but as it would mean a large sliding door panel might not be possible or extremely expensive.

Be cheaper to cut a hole in a wall, but we haven’t got many of those in suitable places. :roll_eyes:

My mate has one in a patio door and they cut the corner out of the original glass unit and re sealed it and then put a dog door in the space, it was only around €80 to get done, see below.

2 Likes

That is great, I must try and find somewhere here that could do such a job. We have to have a full height patio door opened throughout the day to dog width and just a heavy curtain covering it, but because that happens to be the end of the durtain pole, often a small gap appears. There is another heavy curtain between that veranda and the kitchen but it is not completely draft proof.

Is there a vacuum in double glazing space and so did they have to ‘suck it out’ as well?

Most modern units have an inert gas in them as its hard to maintain a vacuum for many years.
If not done correctly I bet you would end up with the equivalent of a single glazed window.

Yes, I thought as much, oh well. :slightly_frowning_face:

If done by a proper glazer or double glazing company it will be sealed correctly as you will have a guarantee with the work, if you can find a company to do it at a reasonable price don’t let the old misery naysayer put you off :yum::laughing:
It’s no different from going to a company to get a new unit made up if a window breaks.

There is a difference between making someone aware of potential issues than letting people spend their money badly.

I didnt say it wouldnt be ok just what to look out for. Yes done properly it should be ok. Has to be better than the curtain though

Double glazing units are very easy thing to do nowadays and I wasn’t trying to get David to waste his money or as your post probably did put him off the idea :wink::thinking:

It did, but it’s back on the menu again now. :joy:

Now for the hard bit, finding a company or lone expert who can do the job properly. :thinking:
The problem I have found in the past is that finding good people is a real lottery. I have just left a message for a plumber who lives 60 kms away in another departement, simply because he came on time last January to fix a leak, did a good job and charged an acceptable fee, whereas I would have great difficulty in counting on only one hand the number of absolute charlatans and let downs around here.

Back to cat poo. He is now 6 months old and has started doing it outside his little tray. He is outside much of the day / evening so not even like he is forced to do it in the tray really :rage: Today’s one really made me mad as the whole litter tray is clean and DH trod in it :rage:

Any tips to get him to go where he should? Previously he has done it the odd time if I’ve left it a day too long before cleaning, which I kind of get and take partial blame. Until yesterday it had only been on the mat at the back door, but then found 3 in the guest room :rage:. Door now closed and today on the mat again.

Is there something I can spray?

Probably not, but you may find an answer here: https://youtu.be/35RQ3wuxIg0

(I’ve found Jackson Galaxy very reliable, though not infallible.)