Cat poo / litter trays

As any if you will know cat litter / poo ect is the least enjoyable bit of having a cat. I recently discovered litter tray liners in Action. Game changer! They are like a bin bag but flat / litter tray sized with the pull handle things. You fit it in, tighten the handles, add litter. So easy to clean out, just lift it out. There is often a tiny vit of urine under so I just anti-bac that. Also spotted today they have the silica litter at a good 2-3 Euros cheaper than even own brands at other shops.

Hope this is useful to someone!

1 Like

I shudder if its more single use plastic.

We have 9 cats and no litter trays, they have always went outside through the cat door, the only time they had litter trays were when they were kittens, as soon they had their jabs they were shown the door, we just don’t get any accidents.

2 Likes

Mine have always gone off to add to the terroir and character of Monbazillac :wink:

4 Likes

As does our dog, we have a big cat door :laughing:

2 Likes

Same here cat flap in the door.

1 Like

We just get a meow and let her out. She often goes 24 hrs between ‘outings’. Wouldn’t suit me…

1 Like

Yes it is and yes you are right. I do my best, compost, chickens, grow my own veg, (we take a black bag to the bin about once a month) I also am working, running a family so 1 litter bag / month I can live with!

4 Likes

Presumably not the wine.

Mine likewise prefers outdoors, unless it’s raining.

Or windy.

Or snowy.

Or too cold.

Or too warm.

A few decades back when Cloudy Bay and other NZ sauv blancs became fashionable in the old country (thanks @Shiba for that phrase in a recent post) I used to buy one from Oddbins called ‘Cat’s Pee on a Gooseberry Bush.’

4 Likes

I think I have mentioned before on here that having lived for a time literally opposite the Nyetimber estate and original vineyard I suspect it was that little something special that my dogs did 3 times a day on the vines that got them their royal warrant and all those awards…

7 Likes

They have been helping to nourish the vines for the past 20-odd years, let’s put it that way. My hens do too, and so did the World’s Best Dog, in her day :star_struck:

2 Likes

I tried liners for a while but having five cats using the same tray when they needed to go, they ripped it to shreds. I found out of all the litter, Super U did the best one, it was pink and like gravel and it did not go to powder like a lot of others did. I just put it in the big tray and emptied it each time someone left a present and when it got a bit used, tipped the lot into a bin bag, rinsed the tray with hot water,dried it with kitchen towel and re-filled it. Got through tons of litter over the years.

Suspect there’s a few more of those on SF…

1 Like

The best thing to use as cat litter turns out to be granulés de bois, as used in our pellet burner.

1 Like

Just dont put it in the pellet burner afterwards :joy:

1 Like

I bet you don’t have to clear up the mess in the garden either, because no doubt they go next door to do that, just as our neighbouring cats do, despite the fact of a cat hating (or loving, because of his warning howls he is never going to get near enough for us to find out which :roll_eyes:)) Beauceron.

The volume of cat poo I shovel up each day rivals his efforts and as I know his calibre :roll_eyes:, I know that we have smaller visitors. :rage:

No I don’t have to clear up after the cats as I have 23 acres of my farmland on 3 sides and a chateau on the other :yum: I have to clear up after our dog though, we have fox, squirrel, stone marten, ragondin poo as well.

1 Like

Have you checked the chateau? :wink: :smiley:

My cats always go outside through the cat flap to do their business.

When I did have cat litter trays I used clumping litter, a scoop and a small refuse bin nearby with a binbag inside. Poo was easy to scoop out and so was urine which coagulated into ball-shaped clumps.

I think I bought lavender-scented clumping litter back then.