Catering for a BBQ

Hi Barbara

Sorry I’m not doing too well today.

What other questions, can’t seem to find them.

Regards Joan

Get Outlook for Androidhttps://aka.ms/ghei36

I sent you an e mail…did you not receive it?

I think that this is what you could call " a wind up"
I think that you know your way around the region Jane…

No Barbara I haven’t received it.

Sorry Barbara I don’t know what you mean 'wind up.'
I do not live permanently in France now but did for 11 years. I do know the area - of course I do.
Please tell me what questions you require answers to.
Thank you.

The Lovage & Pumpernickel Site does not appear to be up-to-date since they clearly state “2017 dates to be confirmed”… suggesting the site is 2016 . :blush:

That’s you. The OP wants a barbecue. Personally I find your choices a bit odd but that’s the thing, different people have different wants and expectations. You don’t ‘do’ barbecues so you’ve set out on a crusade to imply that they would be difficult, impossible, expensive… You are trying to impose your taste on others, to me that’s narrow minded.

2 Likes

The chef who runs La Petite Auberge at Margueron does outside catering.He also speaks English. 05 57 49 17 13. Restaurant le 8 in Ste Foy describes itself as a traiteur also.

Hi Joan . The illustrated advert on display in Leclerc Grand Pineuilh clearly shows his barbecue kit and he describes himself as a traiteur.

Hi Joan
I have replied to you re. M. Chevallier on the SFN pages
best wishes
David

Message du 14/10/17 23:37
De : “Joan Cane”
A : davidjgay33@orange.fr
Copie à :
Objet : [Survive France] [General Discussion] Catering. Bbq

Joan Cane

October 14

Hi David. Have looked on google but can only see that they are a butcher. Cant find any info on hog roasts etc. Do you have any other info please?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

David GAY

October 13

Just found it again this morning. Boucherie Chevallier at Pessac sur Dordogne. He does hog roasts and mechoui and the like. Unfortunately it will probably be out of range because although it’s on the Dordogne River but in Gironde and some way from Dordogneshire proper. There are loads of traiteurs…

Yes I know.
Yes they could try those 2 restaurants.
Perhaps they may be able to help.
David you find my choices a bit odd…what choices?
Most of the caterers/traiteurs do not seem to offer barbecue
as a service and there has to be a reason.
Perhaps it is related to practicality of cooking the food.
And about the end result for the caterer and that is earning
something for their time and effort.
I know about expectations David Martin.
Greasy sausages on paper plates are not what most people
want to serve at their wedding celebration.

I hope that we are not heading for the winter storm of rows on here.
We all like different things and when it comes to food and restaurants
I keep in touch with what is going on around me as it is what I did for most of my life…
I am happy to join in on here…but it is easy enough to move on.

Thank you David for all your help I will pass on to my daughter.

If you expect a barbecue to be about greasy sausages you really are talking outside your experience.

1 Like

It can be David Martin.
If you are such an expert why do you not offer your services.
You are a culinary expert.
What on earth do you know about my catering experiences?
No chef begins with 3 AA rosettes in a restaurant we usually
work in different envirements initially as I di including a few busy
London pubs, a store canteen which fed hundreds every day.
As you move from one type of kitchen to another you gain the
understanding of managing the space, equipment available and how
to produce meals with limited recources.
There is so much to learn about catering and some people have not
a clue.

Please Barbara, get off your high horse. I worked in restaurants in my youth in the seaside town I grew up in and know what a kitchen is like. I also followed my own profession and know how demanding that could be. I am not in a position to offer my services but I have experience in the field. In my time working with the British Forces I attended many ‘barbecues’ at Officers’ messes that were exquisitely presented for possibly up to 300 guests. There was never a paper plate in sight, on the contrary fine china, silver and excellent wines were the order of the day. To you a barbecue is a smoking grill, greasy sausages, paper plates and beer. If I argued that McDonalds was a typical restaurant you would take me on, all I’m doing is pointing out is that your knowledge of barbecued food that would be perfect for the OP’s wedding reception is limited, your prejudices keep taking you to the scene in a neighbour’s back garden.

3 Likes

The officers mess was obviously very well equipped.

To me a barbecue cooks food to order,so to speak…so for 70
people the caterer needs more than one barbecue…
People at a wedding like to eat more or less at the same time.
It is a togetherness event.

Perhaps there are not many caterers who have the equipment
required or feel that they can not earn enough from offering the service.

Let us hope that the bride finds her caterer.

To you… As I keep saying you are out of your comfort zone here. What the OP wants is not impossible or second rate so please don’t preach at them. You think that barbecue food is prepared to order, strangely that’s what I expect for every meal I order when I eat in a restaurant. When I am eating at a wedding or another large gathering I understand that the caterers priorities will be different.
The last large meal I attended was exactly a month ago, over 500 people eating in a tent. Put that way it sounds pretty awful but in reality the food prepared under the instruction of the venue’s Michelin chef was superb from the cherry fois gras starters through the Limousin beef, dessert to the coffee. The view from the tent wasn’t too bad either.

4 Likes

I’ve offered a telephone listing of 100 Traiteurs in the area of the Wedding… 5 pages of names… including Mr Matthew Forster… and other English names… so presumably also English speakers. Plus many French do actually speak English… as they find it helps with their Clients. It doesn’t take much to sort the wheat from the chaff…and, in actual fact, a French Barbecue is usually something rather special…

Most Traiteurs are used to cooking outdoors… this is France after all, sunshine all the way… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perhaps Mathew will get in touch.
From what I can gather Joan is in touch with
life in our region…I believe she had a campsite.

1 Like