Causes not symptoms? #brexit #giletsjaunes

I agree with you about trump IS the swamp, he and his entire cabinet, for that matter. The republican congress has been the “swamp”, and yet they still won a majority when trump was elected. What does this tell you about American ignorance? Why would you vote for a representative from your state again when the congress had under 20% support (supposedly). People should have been voting for democrats if they really wanted to “drain the swamp”. You can vote for whoever you want as president, but think twice about who you vote for congress! They have the real governing power. They did their damndest to block Obama.

Thanks Marijke,

I was/am in favour of their original cause… not their methods of preventing access to commerces and other necessities of life here… and stepping from the pavement in front of vehicles…

one day of obstructions and slow mo is acceptable, but they have taken it to the levels seen on tv, and yes, much of the protesting is now aimed at overthrowing the elected government… i’m not into French politics, following our baying idiots on Brexit is painful enough.

I can understand other countries trying to restrict the sale of gilet jaunes…

it might become a Global symbol of unity for stupid causes?

thanks Marijke for this. I have scan read it but I will take more time to consider it.
The problem is imho that nothing is to be believed anymore, and more & more people are understanding this - from possible involvement of UK dark forces driving the gilles jaunes; man made climate change being a hoax and vaccines being safe to the myths of 9/11 and alleged moon landing, people are waking up from the slumber and asking questions, finally.
Thanks again for taking the time to post the article.
regards
geoff

1 Like

“nothing is to be believed anymore, and more & more people are understanding this - from possible involvement of UK dark forces driving the gilles jaunes; man made climate change being a hoax and vaccines being safe to the myths of 9/11 and alleged moon landing, people are waking up from the slumber and asking questions, finally.”

Really? It’s all a conspiracy, nothing is to be believed, conspiracy on an international scale is afoot yadda yadda

Come off it.

4 Likes

I didn’t read all this article but the first thing you have to remember is look at it as what does the story teller wish to achieve, everyone has a reason to write and it’s nit always true , like the press and all journalists or papers lean towards a certain political viewpoint.
From what I read about cheap energy was nonsense , it is not in decline and not expected to go into decline for at least 50 years, Russia is growing oil and gas and is now as large as a producer as Saudi Arabia, The European countries rely on Russia for 59-60% of energy needs that’s why they never put large sanctions on them fir invading Crimea or the shooting down of the aeroplane.
The opec countries raise or lower production to suit their economies and the price they want, too high it stalks growth too low and you get a boom.
The recent high prices were from speculation on the futures markets and cuts in production.
The America shale gas / oil production is fulfilling all their needs and now exporting it too, but fails when the price goes below 50 dollars a barrel .
The Uk may have 2 large oil discoveries coming on stream in the next couple of years near the Shetland’s and verbier in the North Sea which are as large as the finds in the 1970’s
So finish of cheap energy is total rubbish.

I think the rise of the far right is the gap between rich and poor. The European people tired of getting told what to do and having no say. Working everyday but never getting anywhere.
Everything’s about money now, the rich are only interested in getting richer, they do nothing for the poor, but in my view nothing worthwhile to solve the plastic pollution, pesticides, environmental damage, vast forests been cut down in the Congo to supply Europe with chipboard, A million children starving in Yemen and no one mentions them.

The people are Revolting because they want a better world for themselves and to make sure the planet still exists in 100 years time.

1 Like

“the initial yellow vest protest is against the tax hikes of 6.5c in diesel fuel”

With respect Bob, the later tax hikes announced was the final straw for the GJs. This has been bubbling under for at least a year with the SMIC and general widening of the poverty gap and other things contributing to the general angst of the people.

1 Like

Worth a read…if only for some perspective…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (Google or Deepl are your friends !)

You know when you give kids sweets and they just want more sweets…hummmmmmmm, difficult to just say ‘NO’ hey?

‘Centralist’, ‘New World’ (66% v 34% win in 2nd round Presidential election), Macron caved in after just 3 weeks of protests - disappointing to say the least. There is a view that the French are ungovernable and only another Revolution will satisfy.

https://www.facebook.com/372428220165079/posts/380902819317619/?app=fbl

I think it’s also important to note that the result of the people’s vote/referendum in Crimea was over 96% in favour of staying part of Russia…???

Ireland…

Not really relevant when they invaded a different country,

Hi Barrie,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes totally everyone has an angle and a ‘filter’. The author works as a crowd funded investigative journalist and has taught/teaches at the university of Sussex. There is more info in Wikipedia (I didn’t know his writing before I came across the article).

Am a bit tired as in the middle of moving house but to sum up I believe he is saying that there is plenty of oil but it is much harder to extract and hence less cheap.

I don’t think this is the only cause of Brexit. The widening gap between the rich and poor has been massively exacerbated by austerity following the 08 financial crash. This has definitely been exploited in the UK to push the burden of austerity measures onto the poorest in society, and lots of this for purely ideological reasons (shrink the role of the state etc). But maybe the suffering that has ensued combined with a very tepid recovery ( and this supported by a foundation of forty years of anti EU tabloid propaganda) laid the foundation for the Brexit con that is taking place. Don’t get me wrong I am not saying the EU is perfect or doesn’t need urgently need reforming in some areas but people were promised the earth voting for Brexit and I think they have been sold a pup…

In addition to this and this is I think where our concerns overlap with the author, we as a civilization urgently need to work creating a sustainable future for us and future generations. Whilst you say cheap oil will last for another 50 years that isn’t really that far off and the consequences of not switching to different models of consumption (energy/food) will affect all of us. So decisive and courageous action is needed - now. How we manage that is of course the million dollar question…

But it is a no brainer the UK needs to stop selling arms to Saudi Arabia.

1 Like

Yes total arms ban to Saudi Arabia and Israel too.

Austerity always hurts the poorest first but the Uk had so much debt when labour got kicked out.

On the French news tonight saying the French debt is too high and don’t know how to tackle it, so not just a Uk problem ,

I never understood all the money we put into Europe and Ireland to help in the 2008 crisis and if we ever get it back,

And you think that was a fair and open vote?