CdS being obtained by non-resident second home owners

If they have joined PUMA, logically they will be flagged up when it is time for CPAM to send them an invoice and requests the tax office to share details of their income, and the tax office finds it has no details to share. So that would be the end of the year after the year in which they were accepted onto PUMA, I think.
But if they are not actually living in France I suppose they will not have joined PUMA.

I know four people who have done this, like Jane I was initially fuming but now don’t give a **** as at some point they’ll get caught out.

3 Likes

Of course, as Residents, they’ll be changing their UK licences to French ones
 at some stage. :wink:

So, you can be really good
 and offer to help them 
 :rofl:

The 10 year validity is that of the card, not of the right to reside. Like driving licences, you to refresh them for photo purposes.
My “10 year” card very clearly states that it is a Carte de SĂ©jour Permanent - Article 50.

2 Likes

What’s an EU citizen card?

However it is possible to lose even a “permanent” right to reside in certain specified circumstances, the most obvious one being by leaving the country, and they will almost certainly check, when you apply to renew the card, that you still live in France and have not been absent for longer than permitted. So not exactly like driving licenses where as far as I know no questions are asked, but very similar. For other types of card I believe they simply require an attestation sur l’honneur and proof of residence but we will not know the exact procedure for renewing ours for another 9 years.

The previous resident’s card that British people as EU nationals could have had, but which was not obligatory. Other EU nationals can still ask for one if for any reason they need or want proof, beyond a utility bill, that they live here.

1 Like

Exactly as @JaneJones has said. I could have made a better stab at describing it in my initial comment.
My old card, obtained in early 2019, is a “Carte de SĂ©jour Citoyen UE/EEE/Suisse” & was also permanent. Of course all UK citizens have since had their EU citizenship stolen, hence the need for the WARP cards.

1 Like

Nah, they’ll be driving around on British plates in cars with no CT nor insurance just like they always have until they get stopped or have a crash.

Finally lost my rag with a near neighbour of ours yesterday over this as he joked about it in my presence.

“Good ******* luck in a French court when you’ve put someone in hospital and aren’t insured.”

5 Likes

:+1:

They always believe it won’t happen to them though, don’t they?

4 Likes

You are philosophical and wise. We should leave all to their own Karma.

Must be a fun job in the taxation department, hunting with drones et al. đŸ„ž

And if you renew nowadays (during “Covid”) expect the delay to be even longer. Much longer 

I am sure I read that legislation was passed in France recently giving the tax office permission to trawl the internet and act on information they find on personal websites and places like Facebook. Maybe drones would be more fun to operate but I can imagine some people would love being paid for spending their time sleuthing online.

1 Like

Moved last year. As one of a class of 9/3 or 8/4 residents (FR/UK), principal worry when I got my CdS turned out to be that all UK insurances became invalid - travel, vehicle, breakdown - they all stipulate UK residency. So that’s all been sorted at some expense.
Certainly true you can be dual tax-resident in FR and UK, but you only pay once, as appropriate. But ordinary residence is different, I understand - 183 days minimum.
S1 registered with CPAM, awaiting PUMA response. Assume this or TF will then enable/provoke registration with tax system, which would ease worries, as I want to keep it all legal. Maybe others could advise me if there’s something I’ve missed re tax registration.

The way you enter the tax system is by submitting your tax return, which all residents are legally obliged to do each year. If you moved before the end of 2020 you needed to do this in May 2021, although if you moved on 31 December or very late in the year your tax office probably won’t want to be bothered since no tax will be due.

2 Likes

@Michael275
So, you moved to France permanently last year (during 2020).
Might be an idea to contact your local tax folk and explain when you arrived and ask them when you should be doing a Return.

That way, you are being seen as trying to do the correct thing.
OK, maybe you should have submitted a Declaration of Worldwide Income for the part of 2020 you were in France
 (who knows, I don’t)
Perhaps you should be declaring the 2020 sum this year
 (the Year runs from Jan-Dec)
 but that’s between you and the Tax folk to discuss.
either way, they will explain how to go about things.

The Tax folk are not ogres
 be upfront with them and they will respond accordingly.

2 Likes

Particularly for people who sell stuff on line via LeBonCoin, EBay and advertise gütes etc. There is a tolerance of a few €000 and a handful of transactions a year, but above that and the tax office can get heavy. So UK based people who advertise their gütes to a UK clientele and don’t declare may get picked up eventually. I guess it may depend on personalities and boredom threshold of local tax staff as to whether they want to go looking.

I suspect the motivator will be the incentives ambitious fonctionnaires see in getting a reputation as proactive in sniffing out tax evaders, i.e. being noticed and significantly enhancing their career prospects.

I think so! They used to travel around and look through windows to see whether there was evidence of residence - furniture etc - to see whether taxe fonciĂšre and habitation was due and not being paid. The internet and drones or whatever must have made it much easier now.

1 Like

Only the very, very wealthy (who can afford best advice and good lawyers) and idiots game the tax man IMO. Time is on the Impots side and the amount of data they have is staggering. One day somebody will run a match and compare and names and addresses will pop out. Then there will be penalties, interest and merd all round. I wouldn’t like that sort of trouble hanging over me for the sake of avoiding queues :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes