CdS being obtained by non-resident second home owners

I need to reflect on this a bit more, but I’m not sure that one doesn’t have “duty of care” to report such behaviour. I can understand the difficulties this could cause but what if the individual you mention knocks someone down and kills them? It’s a bit of a moral dilemma.

2 Likes

Denouncing people is a very, very slippery slope…… especially in advance of a crime. After all everyone with a driving licence has the capacity to kill someone, and one can’t denounce someone for being a bad driver!

If you actually see a crime, then that can be reportable. But unless you have actual evidence then it can be defamation,

2 Likes

As I’ve already put elsewhere… I have been told that there is a fund which supports someone injured by a non-insured Driver… and said Driver is then pursued, right down through the generations until the debt is cleared…

So, if a driver wants to raise 2 fingers to insurance… let’s hope his/her family/kids are prepared to finance whatever befalls…

I would be in more of a dilemma if someone I know has become medically dangerous to drive (ie they don’t know it, but they are…)… how does that get tackled… that is a dilemma!

1 Like

Pursue the driver, their Estate even, if they have passed on to highways anew - but “down the generations” is a bit much. Really? Isn’t it?

Lack of Insurance really is considered to be that serious !!
Drivers can cause untold damage and injury is often more expensive than death… thus injury costs can go on and on and on…
France has a different attitude to family responsibilities to that of the UK.
If the Driver does not pay… and his family refuse
it’s you and I who would end up footing the bills…

1 Like

Yes, absolutely. All of those things.

But chasing the family (outside of looking to recover funds from an estate) is completely OTT.

French families are already responsible for each other … parents responsible for children and children responsible for parents… that’s how things work…

1 Like

Ah ok, it’s just the old (long-expired in my case) carte de séjour that had to be surrendered to get the Warp card.

1 Like

Isn’t it more that under UK law debts die with you but apparently in French law they do pass down the generations and have to be settled by the children?

UK has the MIB Motor Insurance Bureau - which covers claims for uninsured drivers. I think I saw somewhere a while back that 3-5% of every insurance premium we pay to our insurers is put into that.

Separately I read that France has something similar.

1 Like

Et voilà Sandcastle :slight_smile:

Does this also apply to second hand goods ?. We have sold several items, total about €3000 over the last 18 months. All were previously our personal possessions, many for several years. Some were what was purchased with the house (a 1Kw Eolien plus some batteries). Didn’t think that this sort of thing needed to be included. Anyone have any thought on this.

There is a new law which came in this year (so applies to transactions in 2020) where all the platforms like LBC and AirBnB now have to tell the tax authorities about anyone who has turned over more than €5,000 or carried out over 20 transactions in a year. And in general selling any personal possessions below these limits is fine - but are a few exceptions like selling gold and precious metals which has a special tax…

https://www.impots.gouv.fr/portail/www2/minisite/declaration/pf-collaborative.html?12

However if you sell new things (ie trade), make things, or adapt things (ie relooking) to sell on these sites then you have to declare this from the first euro.

Thanks @JaneJones , I should be fine then. No precious metals or stones or anything like that. Just ordinary things plus eolien plus batteries.

[quote=“Susannah, post:1, topic:36770”]
What I would like to know is if / when the France tax bureau will connect with such CdS holders? Wealth Tax and other income may apply.[/quote]

Expect nothing very soon because of Covid. The government-workers with the exception of hospitalization are not back to full-time work in the public-institutions. Which should however not take much longer if the Covid-rates remain diminishing. (So far, so good.)

If not, the country will have to wait a bit more for the government agencies to get back to full-time work maybe another month or so …

You are presuming that French taxation-personnel will be reviewing UK-sites for promotional adverts for French rentals? Don’t count on it …

It is hard to imagine staff will be paid to sit and surf the internet at random. I thought the point of the new powers was to make it easier to investigate potential fraud that has already been identified. If it is suspected that a certain property is being used as a gite, they will search the internet for gites in that commune or using the name of the property.
I believe platforms such as airbnb are in any case obliged to provide data on their all accommodation providers in France to the French tax authorities. I suppose it is the same for other similar platforms.

1 Like

Yes, the punishment is imprisonment. No questions asked.

You’re guilty “on-site” if stopped by police - and will be invited to leave your car where it is. It is a very grave matter in France - the car (after all) can be a killer depending upon the driver who’s committed an infraction of the law if s/he has no active car-insurance.

Of course, if the car has UK-insurance applicable to the EU, then there’s “no problem” - but that will depend also upon how long you may have lived permanently in France. If one lives permanently in France, it is best to have French car insurance coverage.

The prisons will be very full if they catch all 800,000 of them.
https://www.ouest-france.fr/societe/en-france-800-000-conducteurs-sans-assurance-sont-de-jeunes-hommes-ou-des-personnes-a-faible-revenu-6992283