CDS Interview

Hello everyone,

I moved to this wonderful country in Sept 2019.

1. I have my CDS appointment this Friday. They have asked me to bring only my passport and passport photos. I didn’t submit details of health insurance originally, so how do they confirm this? Will they ask for proof of health insurance in the interview? Anything else I should bring or that they might ask?!

2. If they DO ask to see health insurance, I think my only other option is to go private? I run a UK ltd co but I can’t get an S1 to get a Carte Vitale in time (S1 takes 4+ weeks I discovered today). Can anyone recommend health insurance that meets the requirements, that can be cancelled when the S1 arrives?

3. Annoyingly, my Irish passport will arrive 6 weeks after the Oct 1 deadline to get a CDS, which believe gives me all the same rights anyway. Is it safe to stay in France while waiting for that, and remove myself from the CDS completely?!

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Louise

Hi Louise

Simply take along whatever they have asked you for…

(I also took their email which quoted my appointment)

removed

1 Like

We were never asked or needed to provide any evidence of health insurance, @toryroo will confirm this I think.

1 Like

me neither… just passport and photos… :hugs:

Other Half… the same… just his passport and photos… :hugs:

EDIT: I rather feel that if they wanted Louise’s Health Insurance details… that would have been included in the email requesting passport and photos…

Best not to worry about things… simply answer any questions frankly and all will be well.

I thought that if you are living in France and economically active you should be paying cotisations. Then you are in the health system.
Even if they are not bothering about this for the CdS, what will you do if you need healthcare? Living here without any health cover seems unwise.

1 Like

Louise does say she’s expecting an S1 …

From that NHS link above You can get help within the European Union (EU) if you receive a UK State Pension or some other UK benefits

and

To get help you must apply for a certificate of entitlement known as an ‘S1 form’.

If you receive a UK State Pension and a pension from the country you have moved to, you cannot get an S1 form. This is because the country you live in is responsible for your healthcare.

But her irish p/port does away with all of this, as far as CdS is concerned.

Ah OK. Sorry I thought you had to be retired to get an S1. As long as she makes sure she is covered one way or another.

Correct. Yes, you do. That is, receiving UK State Pension. Early retirees don’t qualify.

• or " some other UK benefits" as they put it.

I agree. I think she should either establish that she does not need a CdS because she holds [“it’s in the post, officer”] an Irish p/port or get health cover asap

Actually, that is not correct - the S1 that you and I have received, Chris, is based on our having a State Pension, it is true BUT there is also a worker’s S1 where people are actively working for (e.g. a UK company) while living in France. I am not up to date with the rules on this but I fully agree with @stella - @louiseinfrance should not worry about this for the CdS interview - just take what you have been asked for, Louise, plus anything else that comes to mind to show you are unlikely to be a charge on the state. Please don’t worry - if they need anything else, they will ask for it!

2 Likes

Why either or? I do not understand how an Irish passport would cover her healthcare costs.

You are right. It won’t.

Louise should be doing something about health care cover, it is true BUT that is nothing to do with the question she posed, which was around her CdS interview. As we all know with getting settled here, it’s a question of “one step at a time” and if the Prefecture are satisfied with her credentials and just want her passport, then we are not in a position to insist that she needs something else as well!

1 Like

Apologies. I was concerned to read that a young lady (going by her photograph) has apparently been living here with no health provision since September 2019.
I did not mean to break forum etiquette.

I’m not an expert but I think the CdS may be required to apply for the carte vitale. For an Irish that’s usually not a problem execpt if that person is not part of the Irish healthcare system which may be the reason why but, again, I may be wrong so to be taken with a bucket of salt :wink:

On the other hand and in regard to the medical insurance I do am an expert so I can definitely help with that thanks for tagging me along :+1:

If you’re paying your social taxes you are indeed automatically part of the system within 3 months worst case but the social security alone doesn’t match the expectations of the prefecture for the CdS (unbelievable right?)… to match their expectations one would require the SS + mutuelle (and not any type of mutuelle but a “contrat responsable” at least). They aren’t very expensive but that’s a bit crazy in my opinion (although I won’t lie it’s good for business but I’m not really an insurer deep down as I prefer when things are fair and people have the choice :+1:)

With respect I am not sure that is the case for the Brexit CdS.

Following that thinking, the response we should give is, It is absolutely fine not to have any health insurance at all.
Do you actually feel comfortable giving somebody that advice?