CERFA Form / tools

Hi Folks,
I wonder can someone enlighten me.
I want to take several crates of tools with me to the house in France. I’m going to leave most/all of them there. The tools comprise dozens of hand tools (hammers, mallets, saws. pliers, files - you get the idea) and some electrical tools (drills, multitool, mitre saw, job-site table saw). I also have a lawnmower and a strimmer.
These all look used, none of them look new.
Do I need to fill of a CERFA form for these? If I look hard, I can probably find receipts for most of the larger items.
I don’t want to give myself extra paperwork if it’s not necessary.
Any advice gratefully received.

To be honest its more likely to be the english side needing a carnet (extensive list of items you are carrying and not for resale) to satisfy the french douanes if you are stopped. In the olden days of the late 80’s this was compulsory every time OH crossed the channel to work on the house and had a van full of tools and materials but that gradually disappeared with Shengen and pre-brexit and to be honest it was a pain, he once got locked in the customs shed at Portsmouth until someone could be found to verify his list and then he had to pay quite a bit too. If you are french proeprty owner then I don’t see why you need any paperwork especially if they look used and old. Receipts would be good if you still have them. I think you need to explore this further just in case things have changed, but the attitude of french upon arrival was never one of strict searches in our experience and we had sign written vehicles.

Probably easiest /safest thing is to fill out temporary import form and take two copies with you as someone with second home taking things over to work on house and will then return. If there are several crates, even secondhand, it might be hard for a customs offer to accept that below the threshold which is around £350.

If I read the OP correctly, he’s leaving the tools there so surely they would permanent imports and be liable for import duties and taxes?

He said “most/all” which didn’t sound certain, and once he works out import duties and TVA may decide not worth it and will take them back again!

Ah, you didn’t say you were moving permanently! That’s completely different!

To follow up on this, I went to France last month. The intention was to take some tools permanently to the house in preparation for a permanent move there later in the year.
The British customs were not interested at all, just waved me forward once they were happy I didn’t have any contraband and after they had looked under the car with a mirror.
On the French side they were a little more inquisitive. They had a cursory glance through the open bags of tools in the car. They asked up anything was new - two items were (Christmas presents) - asked their value and once they were happy - waved me on. They were not interested in the detailed list of items with serial numbers, place & date of purchase, and cost. Nor were they interested in the CERFA form I had filled out - with multiple copies ‘just in case’.
That was my experience - yours might be different.
Thanks everyone who took the time to comment and advise.

2 Likes

Did you show them that you had documents? It seems often that if you do have something prepared that is sufficiently reassuring that they don’t look at it!

1 Like

It does make me wonder how these white van movers get on as a few months ago I got one of them to transport a bike for me from the UK. It’s quite an expensive bike but there was no question as to value, age etc. And when they arrived the driver had a rather full van of what looked like all sorts. He mentioned that he’d had various drop offs through France and that his next stop was Spain. Would be very interesting to know how they deal with the customs, as certainly didn’t impact me, and it was rather good value, and very straightforward.

I travel 6-8 times a year and have for the last 21. I have been pulled into the inspection area probably 2 or 3 times, the rest is just the usual open the boot and doors look. I am always carrying tools or equipment some left in France some brought back and the border guards are not interested.