Chandeleur and variations

As I’m hopeless at making pancakes (well, decent ones…) we’ve decided to use the same ingredients to make Lemon Surprise Pudding… which is a doddle and delicious…

6 Likes

Love that! Fortunately my partner is really good with pancakes but I must remember to make the pudding soon - we haven’t had it for ages…

We had a discussion this morning… OH eats the first pancake… and then eats them as they come out of the pan… until he finally says I’ve got it right… by which time there might be enough for me to have one or two… aaaargh.

lemon pudding is a family favourite… doesn’t mind me forgetting it (I overcooked it by 20 mins one time)… and I’ve been NOT using my electric oven for some time now, so feel a Special Use Oven Day is warranted…

and Lemon Pudding will become our “family tradition” for Chandeleur…

EDIT: I enjoy crêpes with various additions (hic) cooked by professionals… always a treat.

Did I miss the recipe for that on another thread @Stella? Looks delicious

@KarenLot
50 g softened butter
100g sugar
2 eggs separated
200-250ml milk
50g Selfraising flour
juice of 2 lemons
grated rind of 2 lemons
● Put the butter, lemon zest, and sugar into a bowl and beat together until pale and fluffy.
● Add the egg yolks, flour, and lemon juice, and stir to combine. Gradually stir in the milk until evenly mixed.
● Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually fold into the lemon mixture.
● Lightly butter the ovenproof dish.
Pour the lemon mixture into the dish, and put the dish into a roasting tin.
Add enough COLD water to the roasting tin about halfway. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C fan for 45 minutes or until the sponge feels springy.
I serve it plain, but some folk sprinkle it with icing sugar and/or decorate with lemon/lime slices.
It’s delicious hot but cold-left-overs are good too.

(the mixture will seem sloppy, but turns into sponge top with lovely tangy custard at the bottom. when I overcooked mine, a lot of the custard evaporated but the whole thing was still lovely and moist… fab.)

2 Likes

Fabulous.
Thanks Stella.

My MIL used to make this. Delicious! We all remember the drama of the day when she mistook the pot of salt for the pot of sugar…