Change of circumstance, becoming dependent upon another's S1

For the last few years I have had an annual S1 as a cross border worker with a Carte Vitale of my own, with Covid last year this was not possible so this year no new annual S1. On the upside my good lady wife is a little older and DWP were “happy” to add me as a dependent on her pensioner S1. My Amelie account has now been closed and my rights added to her Amelie account, mild panic when they cancelled my account but got past that. Question is, when I next need healthcare, which will be booster jab next month, do I give them my Catre Vitale with my social security number and rely on Amelie to link it or do I need to take her Carte Vitale and use her social security number?

My wife is on my S1 Martin and she has her own Carte Vital, she never needs mine for treatment or medicines. We just do all the administration through my Amelie account. For example, we got her pass sanitaire through my account.

1 Like

Frankly, I’d use your own carte vitale… and let Ameli do the necessary.
the CV has your photo and your name… it’s your carte…

2 Likes

I agree. My partner’s story is just like yours @martinb79 - he linked to my S1 last year since I am older. Eventually, his carte vitale updated itself to the new situation. Very straightforward but it took time.

Although his Ameli account is not accessible any more, he does still have his own social security number. It’s just that his attestation gives my number as the point of contact and his as an information note.

Important to note though - DWP should send (probably already have) a new S1 for you. That needs to go to CPAM and it will then (eventually) go back to DWP for the cycle to be fully completed. Until then, you are not fully registered (although your Carte Vitale will continue to work) and you may experience odd problems. For example, re-registering yourself with an MT on your wife’s Ameli account. That took us a while until the cycle was completed.

2 Likes

If you take your CV into a pharmacy and ask them to do a mise a jour (rather than just using the borne) they should be able to tell you if it has been updated.

But as Angela says until you get the bit of paper from the DWP and take it to CPAM (having copied it first of course) it is unlikely that your dependancy will have registered on your CV.

You can’t use her CV! They are personal.

2 Likes

Thanks AngelaR, same situation, I have received a dependent S1 from DWP with my name added is with CPAM (copied and sent tracked delivery) but thank you also for that advice. So my Carte Vitale should still work it’s really just that her account is how to get ortal access for all practical purposes, I have also informed Groupama for my mutuelle so they can ensure that links too.

You’ve done all you can do then Martin - all should be well :smiley:

I just wanted to warn you about some possible delays. My partner’s CV was updated when he next did a mise a jour as Jane said and all essential stuff carried on fine. There were 3 hiccups which took a while.

When the MT and the mutuelle tried to link things up, both had problems. It wouldn’t work at all for the mutuelle and it appeared to work, but didn’t for the MT. We know because my Ameli account was still showing that he hadn’t registered either. The mutuelle talked to CPAM and got it registered so we tried again with the MT and that was fine too.

The only residual problem is about the vaccination certificate. I can only get mine on my Ameli account, but can’t get his. Although many people manage it fine by logging in to the vaccination site via their impots number, it still didn’t work for us. However, there was no problem because both the pharmacy and the MT could print one off for him.

The interesting by-product (for both him and you) is that you’ll have to go through the same process all over again when your own S1 becomes available :rofl:

My wife is in the opposite situation as she has just reached pensionable age.

Once she has received her new S1 from DHSS Newcastle, as well as sending her S1 to CPAM, will she need to send other paperwork?

I guess that she will also need to re-register with our doctor.

She won’t need other paperwork as far as I can understand. When my partner went to CPAM clutching the new S1, the nice lady said, effectively, “this won’t be a problem as you are already known to us”.

The doctor and mutuelle will both need re-registering, I think, as your wife will then be (back?) on her own social security number and it’s that that gets logged.

1 Like

@John_Scully …exactly the same for us with the exception that my wife’s covid certificate doesn’t show on our joint online Ameli account like mine…any idea why that might be?

Mmmmm Srudders. My wife tells me that that if you go into a pharmacy they can print out your wife’s pass sanitaire.

Hi, Just wondering why you couldn’t get an S1 because of Covid - presume you couldn’t do UK work, did HMRC refuse to issue you one? I understand all restrictions about carrying out any teleworking and retaining frontalier status were suspended to 15 November - on Ameli site

https://www.ameli.fr/pyrenees-orientales/assure/actualites/covid-19-impact-sur-la-situation-des-travailleurs-frontaliers-expatries-detaches-pluriactifs

I’m sure there are cross border workers whose work has been disrupted who continue to be covered - not meaning to pry, - just very intested in how HMRC deals with S1 applications!

I would be interested in this too @martinb79.

Were you one of the unlucky self-employed that fell through the gaps of UK covid support? Or were you able to access other help at the French end. This aspect may also go one way or the other -depending if you were a frontalier pre-Brexit I think.

I’m also a frontalier. Well, at least when I’m working.

@strudball @John_Scully

From my post above…

1 Like

Yes you’re correct, I’m a self-employed engineering consultant and have been for many years 10+, I declared myself as permanant and tax resident in France almost 5 years ago. My clients are in the UK so very little work last year. I applied for my annual S1 in June this year just as I did in 2017/18/19/21 and nothing, Gov. Gateway shows received 24/06/2021 and work in progress but to this date not action completed and no S1, telephone tag ends up with just “we need to do further work on this” Still got to fill in my S-A tax return. Not so much fell through the gap as lost without trace is my feeling. Ho hum

I have been self-employed for over 10 years as an engineering consultant and becamce tax resident in France May 2017, applied for annual “cross-border” S1 in June, arrived bated for 1 year from 1st August, 2018, 19 & 20 repeat the process, no problems. This year applied, appears on Gov. Gateway as received 24th June and work in progress, to this day still the same. Hours and hours of telephone tag just results in “we are working on it” applied again in October ans that applicication shows the same (except for the date received). I’ve tried the complaints dept. etc to no avail, hence asked my Wife to get me added as a dependent on hers.

Many thanks for your update to me and Karen. I wonder if the department are in meltdown?

After my first one took 3 months to sort out /arrive, expiring end of this month, I applied in August for the next one - there was a thee week processing time which matched the expected completion date shown on the gateway, and it then arrived 2 weeks after showing processing complete. Wow, great I thought.

However, my partners was rejected by CPAM because it’s the ‘wrong way’ round - and two calls since and ‘referral’ call back have not resulted in anything. I 'll probably try the complaint route and note you did. I think you can escalate these - I did check the process for the last delay but didn’t have to do so.

I’m full time, and considering going self-employed. I wonder if self-employed is a factor? I pay loads of NI at the moment - maybe they’re looking at that in your case? You do have a right to know though!

I’ll get on the phone again, keep you updated. Thanks again!

The complints email address is nhsbsa.ohscomplaints@nhs.net and you can email them directly.

As a side thought this is not a Covid issue in my case as this years S1 would be based on my 2019/2020 UK self-assessment tax return which was similar to the 2018/2019 one (last worked in the UK 29th January 2020 when still in the EU), the Covic effected one would be next year based on my 2020/2021 which I have held back filing for this very reason.

based on last years return- makes sense.

your link to NHS business authority complaints - thanks for that though wouldn’t it be HMRC you complained to as they are the ones issuing the cross border S1’s? :slight_smile:

I am in the same position; on my husbands S1 . Presumably you are registered with a Doctor. You have to go to CPAM and ask for your own Carte Vital. I am in the middle of protracted applications… In the meantime you are covered by your wife’s S1.