Changing Carte grise but missed 30 day deadline

Hi everyone, just wondered if anyone knows if there is a penalty if you don’t meet the 30 day deadline for changing the carte grise at the Prefecture? We had a problem with the motor trader who sold us the car and had to wait to receive a document so are now 2 weeks over the 30 days. Thanks Ralph

In my experience it all depends on the size of your prefecture,whether its in a really big city or a tiny sous prefecture. Then on who's behind the counter, a finally as they say over here "c'est à la tête du client" it depends ether I like your face or not…

The prefecture does not have a time limit.

The 30 day limit is for the amount of time you may drive the car on the road so this is the responsibility of the gendarmerie. If you are stopped & asked to produce your documents after the 30 day limit you can be fined 135 euros.

This from the Government's website - "Quand vous achetez un véhicule d'occasion, vous disposez d'un mois à partir de la date inscrite sur le certificat de cession pour en faire refaire le certificat d'immatriculation (ex-carte grise), que vous l'ayez acheté en France ou à l'étranger. Vous devrez fournir des pièces supplémentaires si votre véhicule ne provient pas de France. Si vous ne pouvez pas produire ce certificat lors d'un contrôle routier, vous risquez une amende forfaitaire de 135 €."

Google translate - "When you buy a used car, you have one month from the date shown on the certificate of transfer to make re-registration certificate (eg gray card) that you bought in France or abroad. You will need to provide additional documents if your vehicle does not come from France. If you can not produce this certificate at a traffic stop, you risk a fixed penalty of € 135."

We've just changed ours for a new address two months after we moved. We had to wait for a utility bill it being a new house. There were no questions asked so didn't have to give an explanation.

there will not be a problem Ralph;

I have bought cars and spent time getting them ready for the CT and been well over the one month date.

If asked, just tell them your car has been in the garage waiting for a part.

geoff

How much is the penalty?

You go to the Préfecture once you have everything you need & tell them about the delay with much wailing at the inefficiency of the trader and poor-little-me-ishness & apologising & implore their kindness - they will be nice to you. If ypu can squeeze out a tear it will help (put half an onion in your hanky).

2 Likes

do you know what do i do. I bought my car in bordeaux and when i payed for my new carte grise i gave them my friends adresse because i did not have one yet and 4 days later the courier guy came to my friends house but he didn’t give him the carte grise because i didn’t have there a adress. the next week i moved to clermont-ferrand and now i have my own adresse here but it’s been 6 months and i still didn’t receive my carte grise i spoke with the garage guy i told him i change my adress but he is not helping me what do i do.

do you know what do i do. I bought my car in bordeaux and when i payed for my new carte grise i gave them my friends adresse because i did not have one yet and 4 days later the courier guy came to my friends house but he didn’t give him the carte grise because i didn’t have there a adress. the next week i moved to clermont-ferrand and now i have my own adresse here but it’s been 6 months and i still didn’t receive my carte grise i spoke with the garage guy i told him i change my adress but he is not helping.

Oh dear… this seems quite a muddle.

I suspect you have confused everyone as you didn’t give the correct address in the first place.

The official-system is probably wondering what on earth is going on…

Hopefully someone will chime in with some ideas of how you can proceed.

1 Like

You, as the addressee, has to sign for it. You could have gone to your friend’s local post office & collected it yourself - you have 15 days to do so before it is returned to ANTS.
Your provisional carte grise lasts a month but that has long expired.
You need to go onto the ANTS site & explain the problem. Giving an address that is incorrect, i.e. not your principal address could be considered fraud. Even if you are in a hotel you can use that address, not a friend’s.
With any luck they will send you another CG.

3 Likes

It isn’t his problem and he isn’t obliged in any way to help you.