Charges at Urgences if not admitted

Just by way of information, following on from the Lot et Garonne CPAM thread there is another (non Brit/Brexit related) issue pending regarding charges at Urgence if you are not admitted…

and

One would hope there are exceptions. We finished up at Urgence one Christmas Day after OH broke his collar bone in the dark taking the dog for a walk - don’t ask.
He didn’t need to be admitted but he did need the collar bone to be reset. The staff were in Santa hats and were very good to him after he fainted from the pain.

Phew… it does say the “charge” will be covered by the Mutuelles… or have I misunderstood that bit…

and it does mention “a modest sum” … so not breaking the bank … :thinking:

In the face of ever-escalating mutelles costs we have scaled ours right back to hospitalisation only. So no help there for us sadly.

I go to the Urgences more often than I need hospitalization… so am interested to find out the modest sum involved…

I’m hopeful it really will be “modest”… :wink:

Have you spoken to @fabien? He might be able to help you find a solution?

4 Likes

More information:

1 Like

@graham Thanks for the link. So, pay to see the doctor, pay to go to A&E. That’s put even more pressure on the pharmacies.

Yes but one already pays to see the doctor?

And TBH, having worked with a load of people from the local hospital who are charged with chasing up non existent EHICS / CV’s etc this makes financial sense. It is going to be reimbursed by mutuelles anyway so I don’t see the problem?

1 Like

And…it could even make pharmacies more competitive ?

This question leads to me asking if one can choose which hospital/clinic they are taken/go to? We have never needed a emergency visit :pray: but it would be nice to know if we can choose the nearest medical facility. I should swot up on the procedure…just in case :face_with_head_bandage: :mask:

I think some people don’t go to the doctor precisely because they have to pay and so they go to the pharmacist for a consultation.
Not everyone has a mutuelle, or like us, only has cover for hospital.

1 Like

I would be really interested to know what the percentage is of French people who don’t have a mutuelle. (Just being nosy not pointed btw!). I suspect it is quite low but could be completely wrong…

1 Like

about 5% :wink:

Selon une récente étude de la Dress (Direction de la recherche, des études, de l’évaluation et des statistiques) 5% de la population n’aurait pas encore souscrit de complémentaire santé soit environ 3 millions de français.

4 Likes

Quite so. I realise I will have to take out a mute of some sort, at some time - after I have bought myself a home. Meantime, I have learned to be ‘judicious’ with r-v’s at the doc.

I was wearing shorts when I went for my 2nd jab. As the doc was filling out the paperwork, I drew his attention to my shins which were still rather pink from a bout of ‘fat leg’. I mentioned that the change in medication he made had improved things … he cut me off. “Now now. next time”.

There was only one other person waiting, for her jab.

I know for certain that my UK GP or my Spanish GP would not have let me leave without taking a quick look - or perhaps more than a quick look - and taking some sort of action.

“Wait your ‘recuperation time’ and I’ll have a look after I’ve done the lady waiting for her jab” … something along those lines.

My belief is that the doc was not going to add time to what was a free ‘consultation’ but instead get me to book in for a paying r-v. If it gets no worse, I won’t.

Perhaps there are 3 million FR people adopting the same tactics, for the same reason - plus all the non-FR with no mutes.