Cheapest, simplest mobile phone possible - suggestions please

Sorry, don’t know.

I do not have, and obviously do not use, a mobile 'phone. My life is more than complete without one. My bank used to send a code number to my home 'phone when I would wish to purchase something online whilst using their CB, then they decided to send a code via a mobile 'phone instead. I told them that I do not have one, that was good enough for them and they resorted to the landline method for me, and no doubt many others too. Amazon, Google, Paypal, SNCF and many others also ask for a mobile number (for added security measures, bull shit), I just hit the plus tard button, problem solved. As far as I am aware only Barclaycard have offered a “I do not have a mobile 'phone” option.

2 Likes

Are you always at home? Monday to Friday I am at work about 30 km from home, for about 12 hours a day - so my landline is irrelevant. I am a single parent of 5 children and I don’t live in town so they need transport and there are often last minute changes, life would be VERY complicated without my trusty 11 year-old Nokia :grin:.

1 Like

Ha ha yes agreed. Over the years I have periodically confiscated the kids mobiles and realised after about half an hour of missed / changed / cancelled arrangements that I have just shot myself in the foot. Again.

2 Likes

Why would I always be at home? I also work, up to 90kms from home, I still do not need a mobile 'phone. I have not been sucked in to the “I need a 'phone, the kids may call”, " how will anyone contact me", “will I miss a job opportunity”. If people “need” to call me, they can call me at home, I am not falling for the need to be in constant touch, let alone the constant and irrelevant updates from the likes of faceache, twatter and other crap that “friends” feel the most urgent need to post from their very lonely lives.

2 Likes

Have you been using that silver straw?

Be careful Jeanette…lithium batteries have a tendency to explode :boom:
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I think it’s fascinating / sad that today’s world requires people to be in constant contact. As a child, I used to get on my bike and go visit a friend and we’d go off somewhere together. I’d be away for several hours and my mother and I had no means of contacting each other - somehow I survived. Ballet lessons - I cycled to them. Piano lessons - I walked to them. Swimming / skating - I got on the bus or the train. Holidays away from parents by mid teens - several days would go by and my parents would have no contact. In the UK, I might phone - once, from a call box. Abroad, I’d probably be home before they got my postcard to say I’m having a good time.
And somehow I survived.
Here, chronopost emails me when a package is due. If I’m out / down the bottom of the garden the delivery woman leaves it on the terrace.
Email, I love - long gossipy messages back to friends in the UK. Almost as good as letters.
Mobile phones, text messages - the work of the devil. Doesn’t make for freedom or good communication when needed.

3 Likes

Goodness how do you manage - I am guessing that your children have all left home or that they can get to school and back under their own steam!
I’m not at home in business hours so my landline is for before 7am and after 8pm, so only friends and family, not much use for dr or dentist appointments/the garage/bank/insurance etc.
My mobile telephone doesn’t do social networks.
I have no worries about missing job opportunities :grin:

2 Likes

I find it bizarre that someone can love emails yet hate text messages. When I keep in touch with my children both perform EXACTLY the same purpose. Through SMS and Messanger I keep in touch with my family and many people that I would otherwise have lost contact with. I would hardly call it constant contact either, perhaps two messages a day. For someone who has chosen to live abroad the ability to send greetings, messages, photos and video to other people so efficiently is a real plus. I’m quite happy for people to live without mobile phones, I live without satellite TV, swimming pools and Tesco’s deliveries, but I do take offence when those people decide that they have the right to criticise how I use modern communications technology.
It does make me smile however to realise that the so anti mobile phone person now has two and her OH also possibly has two when I and people like me make do with one, one that allows me so many freedoms and enhances my lifestyle. Devil indeed, it’s heaven.

1 Like

The world isn’t quite the same as it was then though (assuming you are as old as I am). I used to go from the S of France to school in Scotland and back alone (taxi, plane, other plane, taxi, train, taxi ) from the age of 4 (four, not 14) every 6 weeks. In the holidays I was alone all the time, out all day on a horse in Scotland or by the sea/in town wherever in France. I used to wander around my bit of London by myself and spend the day in the V&A or the Natural History museum alone. It just isn’t possible now, at least not at the age I was.

1 Like

Most of my family/friends only ever use their mobiles, even at home! Calling mobiles abroad can be expensive (especially to Asia) so Whatsapp is fantastic! Otherwise mobiles are for emergencies only, breakdown, accident etc.

1 Like

Crikey Vero!

2 Likes

Hi Sue.

Yes, it’s a complete bugger. I also have no reception unless I stand in the field on the other side of the valley. The trouble is that young people are getting into authority who have zero idea that it’s possible or even desirable to live without a mobile phone.

I chose to buy a ‘dumb’ phone from Tesco’s in UK five years ago. It was on special offer, cost £6, and came with £10 worth of free calls - so total cost -‘minus’ £4. I top it up every now and again when in blighty but £20 will usually last about a year and the calls are not stolen by Tesco at the end of the month. I keep it in my car for emergencies mostly but I do use it from time to time. I do have to make one call every three months so that they know I’m not dead and take the number back. International calls are not that expensive these days. I haven’t had anyone refuse to use the mobile number for financial transactions, though I’ve not tried the bank due to not having reception anyway. Texting is a pain, and causes a certain amount of mockery from my children. It’s certainly a bit ante-diluvium these days - but who cares? I don’t spend hours texting all and sundry the whole time.

So, the cheapest option for me was a cheap English mobile phone with top ups - seems to work but there is a problem with remote topping up from France. they insist I have to do that when in UK - but otherwise I’m happy as a bird.

Best regards

Ewen Adamson

1 Like

Tracey…very good. I watched exploding lithium battery vids, for about an hour.

I didn’t know, might very easily have poked around with bits of wire and a screwdriver, or more likely…left a battery to charge …much too long…

1 Like
1 Like

I’m so glad you didn’t! :hushed:

1 Like

There’s no way to escape the effing obligatory mobile, for ever, bullshit is to imagine that you can.

I’ve nearly missed flights, failed to buy goods online, had to waste days sans internet connection and no repairs for busted fixed lines etc, because its impossible to communicate in any other way …with certain companies. Or, because the form online refuses action without a mobile number.

Unfortunately Bouygtel and SFR have withdrawn their Femto services, not sure about Orange. When I raised this with my bank I was told you won’t be able to make online purchases unless you can get a mobile phone signal.

Orange still do them, just looked but you do need an Orange phone too.