Cheapest, simplest mobile phone possible - suggestions please

Keep it quiet but mobile phones aren’t evil!

They can even be useful.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

2 Likes

Gosh what a very impolite and rude reply!

2 Likes

Gosh, Sue, very impolite and rude at the same time and in the same sentence?

How tautologous can you get? :thinking::joy:

…wonderful! Dan Wood…
Three whys for me to think on!
Later…:blush:

Sue, I’m not sure, do you mean Dan Wood’s reply to my post?
I think that he has written an honest response to my post, that inspires my careful though. I could be guessing but real anger/irritation isn’t always easy to put into polite words, and its better to say how you feel, sometimes, than stay silent. He might be joking and not angry. I’m not sure of that either. :smiley:

First thought, ref Dan Wood’s naggy post :blush:…but its 2.41 am…so I’m kipping off till breakfast time after it…
How many millions of tons of electronic crap are trashed every year?

https://www.theworldcounts.com/counters/waste_pollution_facts/electronic_waste_facts

On the strength of that, alone, I’m sorry I haven’t yet worked out how to make a communications system, for myself, with cocoa tins and bits of wire. Will keep looking for alternatives…

2 Likes

Dear Jeanette, please do not fret.
Dan has withdrawn his post, and I :heart: your contributions to the forum. All your ramblings and sometimes crazy insights which really do make me smile. :smiley:
IMO you have nothing to worry about, unless you feel the urge to start making tin foil hats. :hugs:

2 Likes

Maybe too extreme a word, but our society is being changed profoundly to become deeply narcissistic and we are sleep-walking into it.
A man in front of me on the ecalator at Waterloo just stops as he comes off the top because he’s looking at his phone - I have to shove him out the way to get off the escalator myself.
A man standing in the corridor of the plane looking at his phone. He is tall and can easily reach the lockers. I am short and cannot. He is between me and my luggage and takes absolutely no notice. But a few years ago he would have noticed and got it down for me.
Four teenagers at a table in a restaurant. Not talking, not looking at each other, just staring at four individual small screens.
A mother in a restaurant next to us with a young toddler. She’s staring at her phone, indifferent to her child who starts grizzling because he wants her attention. Her response? To pull out a childs computer dump it in front of him and continue with her screen. He is profoundly unhappy.
A family in the gardens of the Alcazar in Seville, all looking at their phones. A brilliant blue peacock walks right by them - they do not notice.
Just a few examples of what I see every single day.

2 Likes

This thread was about simple mobile phones and now you have jumped to the conclusion that they are the work of the devil because you don’t like the actions of a few people who use them. Thank you for tarring all of us who find the appropriate use of modern communication equipment with the same breath. If we are evil surely you, who now owns two of the dastardly contraptions must be doubly so. You make a point of highlighting a table of four teens who are staring at screens but isn’t it you yourself who is unable to communicate with your other half when you need to contact your bank or buy something online. Where is the real communication breakdown?

Martin I am so sorry that you feel my comments in any way imply that you are evil. By no means was that intended and no doubt you are using your technology wisely and well and that it is working for you in a deeply loving and supportive relationship. Nor indeed was I setting out to imply anything about how you and your wife live your life and I would gently ask that perhaps you consider doing the same about how I and my partner of 35 years lead our lives. Of course, in the light of the fact that I have caused offense with my comments about what I see happening in the modern world, I will retire from this discussion.

2 Likes

I have just spoken to CAg English Speaking helpline and read out the notification we have all been receiving from the bank as she knew nothing about it. She is going to look into it and send me an email. She seems certain we can put a UK mobile number and if not possible online we can go to our local branch and give them a number for security purposes.

I have also given my french landline for verification purposes which plays a recorded message of a 4 digit code. Which I then enter. (It may not be an option for all banks or online businesses) but worth trying and works for me.

PS I would not be without my mobile though, especially when driving. Having that extra security is important.
But I am not attached to it 24/24 like some that Sue mentioned, which unfortunately is becoming more and more “common” . :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Not necessarily, maybe he would have been just as inconsiderate a few years ago. Probably would, if he is rude and badly brought up that is just how he is.

I was on a 'plane on Monday, from Bristol to Bergerac, and many passengers were ghastly but only some had their telephone as an accessory to ghastliness. Actually the ones on their telephones were at least quiet.

Planes are just buses or cattletrucks now.

1 Like

Oh no! Sue! You haven’t offended anyone!
Don’t sulk, so, Martin…just accept with huge delight, that not everyone thinks in the same way as you, or I, do!
And a very good thing too.
It gets like kiddies playtime here, sometimes, snatching each others lunch time bananas …and m and ms!

1 Like

Please don’t retire - I’m sure Martin didn’t mean to sound so spike and will hopefully moderate his tone before posting again.
X

2 Likes

I love your dark view of the world Vero, Im never sure if you are joking or not. Can imagine all those pretty air hostess ladies and gents, being ticked off for allowing their planes to become like cattle trucks! The vision conjured up by that thought is practically Dante. Pee and poo all over the gangways, and everyone snorting and chomping into their troughs. Oh my! What a world! :grin:

1 Like

Don’t ever worry on my account, Tracey! That’s very kind but I’ve got a hide like a nuclear bomb shelter, I mean…not sensitive. Or…thick as ten short, oak planks…or… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Anyone feel like buzzing rocks at anyone, buzz them at me first, and work off a bit of your ire/phlegm.

Dan Wood, I’m very sorry you withdrew your comment. I enjoyed thinking about your comments and would have been delighted to reply. :open_mouth:

1 Like

I have to use my U.K. mobile but with roaming because there is no reception in the area where I live for a French mobile!

1 Like