Cheeseism in Normandy and elsewhere

Double post, how did that happen? :astonished: :roll_eyes:

Just call me Laura (Ingells Wilder)… 3 litres milk, 90ml cider or white wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt. Heat milk to 95degrees, add vinegar, turn off heat and leave. After a while, when curds have set, spoon them out into a colander lined with muslin (old hankie, net curtain, whatever). Put it over a bowl as you need to keep the whey. Leave for a while. I then put the squares filled with curd into old faiselle innards and weight them a bit to squeeze out more whey.

Then reheat whey to 93 degrees, cut the curd into halloumi shaped pieces and gently lower into whey and cook for 15-20 minutes. Lift pieces out onto a rack, sprinkle with salt on both sides and leave to cool completely - best to leave 24 hours.

Variants on the recipe exist, including using rennet if you want instead of vinegar, and cookimg curds twice before draining, or adding salt earlier.

5 Likes

Brilliant. Now can you please make me some and post it … !!

1 Like

Smegma?

Don’t for heaven’s sake ask… :thinking::scream::zipper_mouth_face:

OMG are you serious??? That is amazing :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:- it sounds quite easy! How long does it keep?

1 Like

Couple of days in the fridge…3litres of milk doesn’t make much so it never lasts long.

Cat needs to find a retired person who lives next to a dairy farm and enlist him or her into the cause of satisfying taste buds that are yearning for different flavours.

1 Like

Very interesting recipe for Halloumi - thank you, Jane. I still have some halloumi from my last UK trip - fortunately it seems to keep for ages and, like @cat I’ve never managed to find any here.

Our small local Intermarche does decent parmesan and I’ll second other people’s suggestion of Lidl - it doesn’t set the world on fire but is perfectly acceptable.

I think Torigny is a similar size to our small local town so I’m surprised that all you’ve got is a small Carrefour, @captainendeavour

I know!! Have been seriously contemplating setting up a “rent a granny” type site in the last hour after your post and after my previous surrogate granny (did my mending / house sat / trained the kids / wrangled the dogs and fixed my horse’s rugs) totally selfishly moved back to the UK to granny her own offspring !

@cat - Haloumi Lidl stock it on Greek special week - 2-3 times per year.

1 Like

I will be the woman camping outside before the shop opens… thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for that @Mat_Davies. I thought I kept a close eye on the local Lidl but I missed seeing halloumi…

This is the stuff to look out for.

We did stock up somewhat!

1 Like

Is Haloumi the same as Paneer?
Whole milk needs to be used.

You get it in Grand Frais!! I always have a stock in the fridge - they have a Turkish hellim produced for the German market and also delicious Turkish yoghurt, ayran, etc

3 Likes

Sort of, I think Paneer is not re-cooked. But all these cheeses are pretty similar - ricotta, mozzarella, feta etc. Because I live next to a dairy farm I can get unpasteurised milk which makes it all very quick.

Really I’m amazed as I’m an avid Lidl user and always read the brochures. Is it called something else in greek or is Haloumi Greek?? I’m very excited, I’ll look out for it!

I put a photo a couple of posts up - always easier to find when you know what you are looking for.

Thanks @Mat_Davies - recognise the brand and will look out for it!

I’ve never come across Grand Frais - do they exist across the country?

1 Like

Lidl excellent for wines, I agree. They [Lidl UK] do a Pays d’Oc Sauv Bl [bottle] that is just remarkble for the money - £4.20. Ditto the Chilean Cab Sauv but I will try the FR one.