Cheeseism in Normandy and elsewhere

So odd, I’ve honestly never seen it - yes the Cyprian mark (I usually get the frozen cheese puffs, so easy for aperos if someone pops in). Thanks for the pic, I shall take extra care looking around next time that is on!

I never go as in the brochures they always look too expensive for me, and I already seem to do about 3 shops so never fancy adding another but I may well make and effort - thanks!

There’s a Lidl. Looks v. small, up an alley.

Pretty much a bit of everything, albeit in limited range, apart from the masses and masses of Saint Nectaire, Cantal, Salers, and various local blue cheeses (Fourme d’Ambert, Bleu d’Auvergne, Laqueuille, Carré d’Aurillac, etc)

1 Like

I wonder if it makes a difference that there are very few cheese makers in the Dordogne so we don’t see this phenomenon?

Not that few! Only a couple of big industrial-ish ones but many many small artisans.

1 Like

I thought I prefered Pont L’Eveque, too. I bought one of each. Crikey O’Riley! That P. L’Evq is mighty! Straight out of the box, from the fridge, it is Old Sox with added festering trainers

P.L’Evq, eat your heart out! Nothing, but nothing, beats our Burgundy cheese Époisses for being the stinkiest cheese ever.

1 Like

My children and I LOVE Epoisses and actually I don’t find it stinky at all - try Maroilles or Munster :grin:

2 Likes

Both of these are up there on the stinky list :rofl::rofl:

I have to confess doing something I find reprehensible - throwing away perfectly good food. But it was pointless keeping the P. L’Eveque. It was just too ‘ripe’. I do tend to like strongly flavoured food - I love a ripe Stilton or Gorgonzola, Scotch Bonnet chilies - bring 'em on - but this cheese was o.t.t.

Stella, you may calm down and breath more easily. On recommendations here about Lidl I went to the local branch and lo! Parmesan. Ready grated but thru’ the window in the pack, clearly not the awful yellow dust you get in the cardboard tubs in UK. And close enough to the UK £/kg for me to cancel my care-package order. But the order for Cooper’s Oxford Fine Cut m/lade stands.

The fab Pays d’Oc Sauv Bl which got me into a Lidl shop in the first place is stocked at the derisory price of 1,99€.

1 Like

@captainendeavour
Cooper’s Oxford fine/thick cut is available in leclerc in Bergerac. I love it but the one I like best is Keiller’s :heart_eyes:

He may be closer to the UK than here in Normandy :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve been trying to work out what this means. Am I in the Channel Island? Or jilling about off Portland Bill on a falling tide, going exactly nowhere - speed through the water 4 knots, engine flat out, speed over the ground 0 knots?

But I am 0,6 km from Placy Montaigu and very chuffed to be so.

You have to take into account that my timetable has been 5 years Spain, 36 hrs UK, inc 45 mins Sainsbury’s, 18 days 50160

Vero and I live near Bergerac in the Dordogne, so whilst handy for us for the marmelade I thought perhaps were are further south than the UK is north of you!

You may be right. I’m still not entirely clear. But I am not going to schelp down to Doying-Doying for marmalade, not even Oxford Fine Cut.

I believe there may be another spell of 100kms from home coming up. This would get me to St Lo with 80kms to spare, so I will be on with looking out the Cooper’s.

But The Doying-Doying caters more for Brits, no?

What bread do you recommend that may be available up here in Manche supermarkets that makes toast suitable for the Cooper’s or Keiller’s?

I do mean sliced stuff in a packet :roll_eyes:. Wholemeal …

If you can find it I suggest a brand called Toastaligne. It comes in white, complete and seeded versions. Most other sliced bread is way too sweet. Another alternative is the Leclerc own brand complete bread, also not too sweet although their white version is overly sweet.
Izzy x

Lidl again, they do a white and wholemeal that is very similar to UK bread.

I like the Lidl wholemeal, it makes superb bacon sandwiches (bacon Lidl also during American week).

1 Like