Cheeseism in Normandy and elsewhere

Herepian, local super market has, I estimate, 10 m of loose chess and probably another 15 m of packaged cheese.

Cheddar, cheddar? In the face of Salers, Cantal, even proper aged Dutch cheese. Roquefort is a local. Yes there is always Parmesan. This is cheese heaven with an attending angel always full of good advice on the next cheese adventure.

Our Hyper U in deep darkest Jura sell it - even tho’ very few UK immigrants round here. And in January our BioCoop sells seville oranges to make your own.

I make Christmas Marmalade from Corsican Clementines absolutely delicious …

Nothing wrong with French Orange confiture, tastes like marmalade :blush:

That isn’t bread, it is poison and just as nasty as in UK, Chorleywood process and all.
You can get proper bread sliced for you in the boulangerie, go for a pain complet or aux céréales or multigrain.

4 Likes

But doesn’t usually have the delicious dark brown chunks of confit skin!! I have successfully made kumquat marmelade (I grow them and there’s a glut every other year) and I make lemon curd with some of my lemons. I don’t get enough tangerines to do anything but eat them off the tree.

I know the problem with the great majority of those packet smkt breads but there are two or three in UK that make perfect toast - eg Kingsmill and Warburton w/meal. I wouldn’t buy that sort of bread other than for toast.

And I have a vague attachment to them, Chorleywood or not, as the father one of my best friends at school was a multi-millionaire on the basis of producing, amongst others, ‘Mother’s Pride’, one of the leading examples of the stuff you describe as poison. That’s how I got to ride in one of the very first R-R Silver Shadows on the road.

His mum was a stout defender [tho’ pencil slim herself] of the merits of ‘Nimble’, one of their line. Absolute krep, no doubt. She it was that taught me the correct way to say ‘Noilly Prat’. An early version of the ‘yummy mummy’, she had a Jensen Interceptor which was on a ramp far more than ever it was on the road.

Just like the multimillionaires in the tobacco / sugar / soft drink / ice cream industries.

Why not let’s add makers of alcoholic drinks, motor vehicles, ladders, kitchen and other knives, clothing and equipment for mountaineering and scub diving … one could go on.

Tobacco is used to make products which deliver a potent addictive drug, nicotine, the smoking of which also damages lung and throat tissue, amongs other harmful effect.

All the rest on your list and mine are harmless and useful - indeed some very pleasurable - if used sensibly and with moderation …

I agree. We moved to France to get away from supermarket bread… we have 8 boulangeries in our local town Bagnères-de-Bigorre which is one per 1000 inhabitants. They all have interesting and different breads so deciding what to buy on any day is an enjoyable challenge.

1 Like

What’s it like living in Bagneres de Bigorre Jonathan ? Is the golf still going ?

Brilliant. I haven’t played much golf recently but the course is in great condition and we have been having gorgeous weather. The 1km from the house limit is rather frustrating as it means the mountains are out of bounds. I imagine that when that is relaxed the weather will change .

What’s the weather like all year round ?

I am really partial to strong Scottish cheddar like Orkney Scottish Island Cheddar or the strongest seriously strong cheddar, up until last month I found the French equivalents pretty poor taste wise, but I found SuperU’s extra mature cheddar to be really excellent, happy now I don’t have to keep bringing supply’s over .

5 Likes

Thanks for this.

I also love a good mature cheddar (Godminsters is my favourite).

Have you tried a mature Cantal - it is quite similar.

Prefer Salers.

Cantal Vieux, or extra mature Salers, might give you the bite you seek.

2 Likes

Always stock up well when they have it. I don’t know if it’s just our Super U but their stock control is terrible and they quite often have gaps in their Cheddar supplies.

Cheese,

Good stuff and obviously lots of enthusiasm for it, but why so many mentions of industrial cheese in supermarket plastic packets?

This is France, not England - get the real deal by supporting your local fromagerie!

2 Likes

My partner and her dad do, I on the other hand am fussy about cheese’s, anything that is mouldy and smells should go in the bin as far as I am concerned :nauseated_face::yum::laughing: