Cheeseism in Normandy and elsewhere

Cantal “Entre Deux” ou Cantal “Jeune”, which is what you usually find in the supermarkets, is insipid and barely passable. That would explain the waxy taste and the mildness

Cantal “Vieux”, or Salers 18 mois - you can’t mistake the difference between these and their younger milder variants. For one, the crust is alive, and usually extends into the body of the cheese in places. It is cratered and and pitted and the really mature ones have “artisons” on and in the crust. I’ll spare the general public the explanation of these little beasties - suffice it to say, they are what lends some of the flavour to the cheese.

Then you want 6 month old comté, and you should be able to find that in your price range. I now find cheddar rather dull in comparison!

2 Likes

Does the wrapper include this in the description?

It’s called halloumi (χαλλούμι Gr. spelling) in Greece and is traditionally made with sheep’s and goat’s milk.

Yes, I love mature Compté and Beaufort, I’ve not tried Abondance. I use Compté in place of Grueyer sometimes and often in place of the insipid French Emental which is awful, it’s hardly old enough to keep shape. These cheeses though are a different sort, with amongst many differences, a different ‘cooking’ process to the curds or milk. There texture and ‘feel’ is different, personally I love the nuttinness, but it’s not Cheddar … booohoooo :sob: It is possible to buy ridiculously old Cantal but in my opinion the cheese doesn’t really improve after a year, where as Cheddar can often go to two years, though again, 18months is about the limit for me … not acid and a sound body but with flavour that just expands and expands.

I shall be on that chop-chop. Thanks. I still have a pack of Extra Mature Cheddar to A-B against.

Sometimes, although it does seem to depend on the supermarket.

Alternatively, any reputable cheese van on the local market or wherever else they’ve been authorised to park and sell their wares

Nobody can say I haven’t given it a shot. 18 month Compté, no less. Sorry, doesn’t cut it. It may taste like 18 month old Compté but as the vaguest approximation to Cheddar, no.

In fact it reminded me of a riper version of the Gouda my ma used to buy in Roermond on our Saturday shopping trips over the DE border into NL.

Always a joke, coming back into DE. At that time the DE customs were red-hot on smuggling of butter and coffee. Seeing the BZ [British Zone] plates of our car they would ask a couple of prefunctory queations. If one was “What ages, madames?” My mum and her friend always replied “18!”

The DE cars, however, were stripped…

You should try :wink:

2 Likes

God’struth, old chap! I will ! Chapeau!

1 Like

18 month old compte or comté ? An 18 month old compte de banque would taste nothing like cheddar. And comté is pronounced “cone-TAY”. Just sounds better that way.

After your recommendations I had a look at Lidl this week at hte Comté and even the 12 month stuff is beyond my meagre cheese / kg budget!

I was curious to know the price (for future reference). Here in Washington state we buy a six month old French comté for $10.99/lb.

I can’t remember exactly how much it was but with a tight budget I left it - I think something like €15/kg, perhaps more.

OK, thanks!

That’s a very reasonable price for 6month old (perhaps too reasonable?). But I’m not sure I believe the label, that doesn’t look like AOC french comté to me (and it’s con-tay, not cone-tay, if we are being picky😉)

It’s from France and it does say AOC on it. But that is $10.99 per pound, not kilo. You’re correct, it is con-tay, not cone-tay. As long as it’s pronounced cōn, not cŏn. :wink:

Hm. Caw(n) rather than cone or con, I’d say, or more correctly: kɔ̃te

Whoops! In which case not reasonable at all! 6months old is 12-14€ here, going up a couple of euros every 6 months.

I am useless ay phonetic symbols…so no way can I reproduce the local accent, which is but a hint of an “n”.

Yes, that’s the accurate vowel sound, I don’t know all the correct symbols, especially for French vowel sounds!
Chantal is from the Département de l’ Oise and I always hear a hint of an “n” sound in her “comté”. Maybe it depends on where you live?