Cheeseism in Normandy and elsewhere

Yes, I think that would be about 20€ per kilo.
I agree with the hint of an “n” sound in “comté”.

Peter, you know you re going to have to give up all that lbs, oz, feet 'n inches stuff when you get over here.

1 kg = 2.2lbs so your cheese-in-that-photo-however-it’s-pronounced is US$24.18/19.95€ per kg

That’s not good value. The 18 month old stuff I have here is … ummm [tiny typo… squinting …] 21.60€/kg. Like Tory, that’s not in my kg/€ cheese budget but this cheese has had so much good press that I decided to try a piece that was incontestably right up there, in its own terms. I pass.

My piece, from C4, has Comté fort des rousses on the label. Running this thru’ G. translate, with the accent on the ‘e’ you get ‘county fort des rousse’. With no accent you get ‘strong count of redheads’!

Crikey! I just looked out the window! Here in 50, 45 mins south of Caen - IT’S SNOWING!

Not worth the wrapper it is placed in. 6 month matured, may as well say it’s fresh off the shelves :rofl:

It certainly doesn’t look like real Comté, in fact it looks distinctly like a knock-off, but as the US doesn’t recognize EU geographical indications of provenance, US traders can get away with passing off stuff alleged to be something from any country without much fear of lawsuit. Comté is also a collective certification mark, and in order to be able to apply that distinctive Comté truckle label, the producer has to collect the milk and make the cheese according to a charter. Anything else isn’t Comté.

If you look at my earlier post I too queried the truthfulness of the label. My next door neighbour is a comté dairy farmer and I have learnt a lot (more than I would ever need) about comté and cows from being sat next to him at village festivities. Plus our cheesemonger is a complete buff, and loves offering you bits of different ones to taste. And we like cheese so do all the cheesy things like visiting local fromageries and fort des rousses.

(Now feel wistful about being bored by cheese for hours at social events…those were the days)

2 Likes

It might well be from the Comté area, but I see neither green or brown bell labels on the packaging, meaning that it hasn’t passed the quality rating scheme. The reason I’m a bit retentive about this is because I was involved in drafting the certification charter for use of the trademarks, many years ago. :rofl:

3 Likes

I would be the first to agree that Comté tastes nothing like, nor does it cook like, cheddar.

Salers

2 Likes

I am afraid if it has mould in it, it should be in the bin :laughing::nauseated_face::grin:.

Sir, thou dost protest too much :smiley:

No way, Colin! 90% of that cheese is edible.
Anyone wanting something a bit like cheddar should try Cantal Entre Deux which is similar in texture and flavour to a Medium Cheddar from a UK supermarket.
An equivalent of real, quality Mature Cheddar in France simply does not exist but there are many hard French cheeses to chose from and I would suggest trying them all to find one you like.
Izzy x

I am afraid if it has mould in it, it should be in the bin.

Noooo! Not cheese - cut it off. Not a bit of a fur collar round the top of a tub of Cr fraîche - spoon it out. Not a fur cap on jam or yoghurt - it usually lifts away in one piece on the blade of a knife. And others that might give you the ab-dabs if I described them.

“fort des rousses” … Visits to the ‘strong count of redheads’? Can one get a season ticket? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Remarkably you can! We are tourism ambassadors, so get a card.

Lucky it wasn’t you looking after the petri dishes in Fleming’s laboratory! A bit of mould is a good thing mostly, and unless things are climbing out of the fridge on their own they get eaten,

1 Like

We will wait until our move to France, rather than pay over 35€ per kg here for aged comté.

1 Like

Yeah that would be an even worse rip off!

We are far from any big city and feel lucky to be able to find French cheeses. But nothing like the cheese shops when we were in NYC 30 years ago. One of my favourites that we can find here is this sheep’s milk cheese.

When I say mould in it, I mean like this c**p :nauseated_face::grin:

Trader Joe’s is unique in that they travel around the world and buy directly from the producer, which is how they are able to put their name on the label, and why their prices are lower than other stores that import. One of Chantal’s favourites from Trader Joe’s:

1 Like

First people diss an aged conté, and now insult bleu de Gex! You’ll be pouring Mont D’Or down the drain next. Hands off my cheeses!

You all stick to your bland white things…

3 Likes

I know nothing about how comté is produced, nor the various subtleties that make it pukka comté - I don’t like the stuff, heretical as that might seem, nor much any cheese.

But surely even US trading standards legislation would require a product labelled “Product of France” to actually, you know, be made in France.

Or could they weasel out of it by saying “well comté is a product of France, so the lable is correct, but this piece of cheese was made in Seattle”?