Chestnuts or conkers

Mmm… spent days making Marron Glacé the other year. Now I’m wondering if I was actually brewing up a “deadly potion” :roll_eyes::crazy_face:

Perhaps just as well I was disappointed with the result and chucked the lot away… :upside_down_face:

Seems that “conkers have no tassel” is the easiest way to tell the difference. So I shall keep my eyes peeled and be very discerning when out scavenging. :thinking:

I can’t believe people would mix them up, they’re different, as are the trees! I suppose it’s easier if you’ve grown up in the country collecting them as kids and in an area where there are both. The châtaigneraies around here for instance. :wink:

1 Like

Is this a damning indictment of the knowledge/intelligence of the population?

2 Likes

not sure and surprised at the lack of knowledge/problems bought up in the article. We use chestnuts in cooking no problem but OH and I have grown up in horse and sweet chestnut areas (albeit it in different countries)

I grew up in the inner city, and I know the difference. So rather amazed as it’s not hard to tell them apart.

1 Like

As the article says… one of the frequently made “mistakes”:crazy_face:

Frankly, I can understand confusion, when the French is flowing much too fast. (I’ve been there, done that…)

Marrons can be delicious - and come from the Châtaigne tree. (chestnut)

Conkers/horse chestnuts are poisonous and come from the Marrons d’Inde tree. (marrons???) :thinking:

:roll_eyes:

Seems like many get caught out : https://www.bienpublic.com/france-monde/2019/09/24/marrons-et-chataignes-gare-a-la-confusion :open_mouth:
But when talking about the raw fruit we always use châtaigne for sweetchestnuts and marron for conkers. Once cooked you can call them what you like!

1 Like

Whatever… I’m looking forward to the cêpes which today’s rain will surely bring forth in the woodlands…

another opportunity to brew up a lethal potion ?.. mmm… nope.

1 Like

I have not found a way of cooking cepes that make them palatable?
I will only use the ‘stalks’ if they are very firm.

Always preferable to have a firm stalk Lily !

Every time Peter!

I love cèpes but you have to pick and eat them young: chop them into bits as big as the last joint of your thumb and then fry them quickly in a hot pan with a bit of salt, parsley and garlic.
The mistake is waiting for them to be huge and old - the underneath shouldn’t be khaki and slimy. Once they are like that personally I dislike them, yet lots and lots of people around here LOVE them like that…

1 Like

This is how we receive them from our neighbours, size of a side plate! They pick so many like this, but I usually find someone that likes them. Maybe It’s time to say, pas pour moi merci :raised_hand:

Dry them…and then they are great crumbled up and popped into sauces and the like adding a deep mushroomy flavour.

1 Like

You can freeze them as well but everything in the freezer will taste of cèpe. I had cèpe and vanilla, cèpe and white chocolate, cèpe and crème brûlée ice cream that way…

3 Likes

Have you tried drying the really big ones (chopped into slices )?
The flavour intensifies tremendously. Dried ceps are really useful in a mushroom risotto 're hydrated and added to the stock, ground to a powder they add a lot of flavour to any stew…

1 Like

I can’t resist posting a link here to another website about chataigne vs marron; it gave a lot of good info.

Great to learn about how to use cepes, by the way. We went out to look for field mushrooms today, found a few beauties but so far no cepes. Will keep looking, might be too early, though from what folks are saying it’s good to get them when smaller…

Cheers.