Chimney sweeps, fitting pellet burners

Hi
I am currently selling my property in Saint Mathieu 87440 and am desperately seeking a chimney sweep who can fit a new pellet burner , may i ask you wonderful people if your may of one, who also speaks some English as my French is rather petit.
Many Thankx
Sammy T

I wouldn’t have thought that’s a sweep’s job. The installation and maintenance of our wood burner has been carried out by the company we bought it from. Our sweep just does that and gives us out annual cert.

Do you have the name of the company that installed it, or is there an agent for the brand near you?

2 Likes

Are you wanting to replace an existing pellet burner?

Do you really need to fit a new pellet burner in order to sell the property? Maybe it would be better to leave the coice of a new pellet burner to the buyer.

In any event, a chimney sweep is unlikely to be whom you need. I think we’d all be grateful for a little more info in order to offer the best advice…

If you want a chimney sweep… simply look for Ramonage Cheminée… there are several in your area. check Google, or Pages Jaunes

Also ask the local Plombiers regarding chimney sweeping as many do it also. As for fitting any new appliance that has flames, you should only get it installed by the insured and proper suppliers, not a sweep. You need their guarantee for your house insurance plus instruction on how to use it properly.

Doubtful that a sweep would do that, unless they have multiple insurance cover for the various activities involved (fitting, maintenance, sweeping). Most sweeps only do the one job, that keeps them busy enough !

Hi

Thank you to everyone who responded to my pleas.
I have found a chimney sweep who fits pellets burners although I am still having trouble trying to pin him down, as I have discovered they are a precious commodity in France and are extremely busy !!
I brought mine pellet burner from Brico marche , 2 years ago but never had it fitted as i was not in the country long enough due to work commitments and it did not occur to me that they may offer a fitting
service?
If anyone can recommend a fitter near saint Mathieu / Cussac / Rochechourt 87400 I would be immensely grateful.

Surely they are your first port of call? If they don’t do it themselves they will know fitters.

When I was thinking about getting a pellet burner a few people recommended :point_down:. I changed my mind about getting one so have no idea about prices etc. but am told they are fully qualified.

1 Like

Thank you so much, for your recommendation

1 Like

No problem.

They might not want to install something you bought from elsewhere but it’s always worth asking!

Do chimneys have to be cleaned twice a year? I have checked the gov website, but still not 100% sure.
TIA

We were advised it’s just - at minimum - once per year. The text below is taken from Article L2213-26 of the ‘code général des collectivités territoriales’ and matches what we were told:

Le maire prescrit que le ramonage des fours, fourneaux et cheminées des maisons, usines, etc., doit être effectué au moins une fois chaque année.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes/article_lc/LEGIARTI000042343300

1 Like

Thank you Gareth, that is quite clear, I’m not sure where/what section I read, but I assumed that the six monthly clean applied to a different type of burner rather than domestic. A friend told me her chimney sweep came last October, again three days ago then emailed to say he would be back again in October “it is the law”
Just a thought, I am in 24 and I know differences do apply to different depts?
Lily

Umm, good point… I’ve not seen anything online that suggests it changes per département. But I’m not sure, tbh.

2 Likes

As we now know it is law to sweep once per year any other additional sweep would be needed if its heavily used and probably advised by the person sweeping it. Someone simply coming and saying its the law more than once a year unless it stipulates it for region 24 et al is talking nonsense. It has only just become law after years and years of UK people saying it was law before when it wasnt. If the law felt it necessary to do it every 6 month or in this case 4 months they would have made that law instead but so far they havent.

Anyone know of the course I need to do to become a sweep? Cannot think of an easier way to earn ?€100 for 20 minutes work, except for non exec directorships but thats not work and you dont need a qualification. :joy:

1 Like

No, but we get on very well with our chimney sweep as he’s a friend of a friend… if you’re serious then I can ask him what’s required if you like.

1 Like

I would be a little interested, so long as its not a 5 year apprentiship :joy:

1 Like

Haha… I’ll ask him next time I see him - worst case scenario it’ll be next year as he’s already been once this year.

I looked into it many many years ago, I like you would pass the exam with flying colours, but to be qualified the hardest is at the end there’s a panel of local sweeps that interview you and say yay or nay IIRC.